55/1.8 Takumar, Provia 100F this time

I just got some slides back today, I am still experimenting with the

SMC Takumar 55/1.8 on the spotmatic. I will post two samples here, the

web compression really does not do justice to the scans. There is a

world of difference when they are viewed in 16bit RGB vs. 8bit sRGB

even on my laptop screen.

Both shots taken last weekend.<div>00CFka-23615384.jpg.2234443b70ffc5b22b2b55c2cf4c4a50.jpg</div>

I love Provia 100F. I still have about 50 rolls of freezer stored 35mm rolls to burn. The first shot is expecially nice.

Regarding 16 vs 8 bit on screen, you are imaging things. Computer displays are 8 bit devices!

Mike,

No, the 55/1.8 is not a "hot" one. I think only 50/1.4's had the yellowing problem. My 50/1.4 is starting to yellow but since I use it for B/W usually I don't think I'll touch it.

Regarding 8bit vs. 16bit: The difference is then due to sRGB vs RGB. I had to adjust saturation to get the sRGB file look somewhat like the RGB file and the reds are still weak.

another set of excellent photos, which again prompts a thought that comes into my rock

strewn skull from time to time. I had a Pentax Spotmatic when in university, had to sell it.

Why on earth did I not buy another one and slowly accumulate a set of these excellent

Pentax lenses, instead of heading off madly in all directions, seduced by camera magazine

articles and advertisements?

I recall someone posted a link to a woman portrait photographer who had been working

for thirty years with a Pentax Spotmatic, 85mm lens and without benefit of flash or studio

lights, just some card reflectors, and had made a good living from that most basic set of

gear.

simplicity should not be underestimated.