Doom. Such fun, but at least Nikon's willing to fix it for free, even though

its out of warrenty. However, I have a wedding (on a beach, no less) next

Tuesday afternoon, the day after Memorial Day. There's no chance Nikon will be

returning it to me before then, so I'm faced with two options, that I can see:

1. Shoot the wedding with one camera, which I don't really want to do,

especially since its on the beach and I have no desire to change lenses on the

fly.

2. Rent another body - I'm having problems finding a local shop (in NC) who

does rentals, but Adorama does - I could get another D70 for a week for $200.

Unfortunately, since I'm already spending a good amount of my margin on travel

expenses for this wedding (it's a friend of a friend, so, they're getting me at

a discount), if I end up renting another body, I'm probably going to break even

at best.

I'm leaning towards renting a second body - no profit margin, but better peace

of mind. Figured I'd see if you guys had any other ideas that maybe I hadn't

thought of, though.

Well, that would be the best case scenario, no doubt. When I talked to the Nikon Service Rep, he gave me the "5 days minimum" company line. Factoring in the holiday, he said that I should not plan on getting the camera back until next Wednesday or Thursday.

If it shows up on my doorstep Friday morning, I might fly to NY and hug the technician myself.

Have you looked into buying a used D70 body...I see them regularly going for $500 or under. If you shooting weddings regularly it makes sense to have three bodies (two in use and a third in the bag for back-up). If you don't have the need for the 3rd body, sell it after you get back---you should be able to recoup your expenses minus transaction costs.

...check on a used D50 at

www.keh.com

and see if one is on hand. Can't hurt to have a 'newer' camera body that does not have a 'green light' background. The D50 takes a SD card, but one 1GB card can hold a few NEF files should you need to shoot that format.

Buying used isn't a bad idea.

And now, I'm perplexed even more. Came home, went to put the camera in the box to ship it off, and whammo, no more Blinking Green Light of Doom. So now I just have the intermittent BGLOD, and now I'm wondering whether its worth waiting until after next week's wedding to ship it off and have it repaired.

I never thought I'd be frustrated that my camera worked, but there you go.

You need more friends who shoot the same system as you! I keep friendly with 3 people who own between them a 10D (used to be mine), a 5D (first port of call in an emergency) and a 300D (would have to be pretty bad..) for use as backup as well as a bevy of lenses including the 17-40L (I'm in the middle of buying another one) and 70-200L IS (I only have the f4 version) and flash units (580ex/420ex). Of course I have my own backup body/lenses/flashes though it is still a film body at present but I have the options there if I need them for certain commercial and non wedding/event jobs where a film backup wouldn't hack it time/cost wise.

If I was in the nikon camp I would also have access to 3 D70's, an S2 and a D200. To be honest if I didn't have a 'pool' of canon gear to turn to should I need extra bodies/lenses/flash (e.g. when I was having my 5D focus tuned or when my 580ex blew up) I would have gone the nikon route, it is that important to me to have the extra kit nearby.

Good point, Ben. I do have two friends who shoot Nikon, and both have D70's. I should give them a call. Hadn't thought of that, either.

Most of my friends shoot Nikon, so I'm out of luck there. I don't think I'll tell them about the BGLOD - only more ammunition for them to mock my Nikon gear.

David, for heavens sake don't trust the camera now. I had the same thing happen and the next day it worked fine. I send it in anyway and it had MAJOR problems and it was at Nikon for over 4 weeks.

I wished you lived closer I would lend you a camera :) I sure would hate to do a wedding with no backup.

I always have two backups just in case for that reason..........

Oh, don't worry, I'll be acquiring another body for next week's wedding.

And, if push came to shove, I still carry my N6006 and a bunch of film. I'd never take just one camera to a wedding - I just can't use my precious 70-200 with the film body, so I don't really consider it a real backup. It's more like a last gasp for air.

Do you have any photo friends with camera's that you can borrow? Even a Pentax K1000 as a back up. You can buy one of those anywhere and get a enough film for about 300 to 400 shots. David said it best, beg borrow, do whatever is needed. This is probably the brides most special day of her life. Even if you go in the hole for the wedding perhaps you will make up the difference on reorders. Good luck and let us know how you make out!