nice warm tone to them. Can someone enlighten me on how he does

this? Is it his lighting, camera, lens, etc...? What am i missing

here? The link to his page is

http://www.zackphillips.com/gallery01.html. I am particularly fond

of how he achieves the look in the photo that is in the 3rd column

and 5th row down.

Thanks in advance,

David

I didn't notice anything special there -- regular lighting, nothing special with regard to contrast, skin tones, or actually anything...

What do you mean by "flat"? Low contrast? Bad skin tones? This all is done in Photoshop...

I'm criticizing the catalouges and the way they are printed, not the style of the photography. But as for photography, while I see it as a pretty straightforward "clean" style and nothing fancy, It is still looking better than any of my pictures that I have ever done.

I guess I'm just criticizing as viewer, not a photographer, because as a photographer I have no right to judge any of the professionaly made pictures and most of the better pictures that people post on these forums

Wow, those really are some nice shots! It looks to me like Zach used several very soft lights (maybe big soft boxes close to the subject). He has also done lots of post processing. The skin tones are so even that it's obviously not "real." For the shot your referenced, I'm guessing a softbox to camera-left, and hair light high and right (opposite the key light). There may be some additional fill from camera left; maybe a big reflector. And there is almost certainly more light on the background. This is not a "simple" setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not a pro but , I assume you mean that your photographs lack depth (3D feel). As best I can tell , as I have learned that back lighting will Help achieve this depth.I don't know if this is exactly what your looking for but I tried.

P.S.

I have found If you what help here it is important to be specific with your questions and it is very important to do your homework, as not to waste there time.

LOL I my not be a pro but I am professional and no question is a dumb question !!

• 3 years later...