Vermilion Cliffs - The Hard Way

jdrose

Hello,

I think most people have seen Vermilion Cliffs from Cliff Dwellers and Navjo

Bridge looking up. I have a secret. There is a place where you can look across

to the cliffs and into the Paria Gorge and over to the Paria Plateau. Gorgeous

place. I went there after work for the sunset, it was great.

You leave from the Grand Staircase Visitor Center in Big Water, Utah and

head south for 12 miles on a rugged, rocky and very sandy road. Elevation

change is 4100 to 6100 feet. 4X4 is absolutlely needed. If it has rained alot

you might make it in a Rav or Subaru, but if it is dry, you must have some

clearance and very wide tires. Super sandy.

Wonderful overlook that almost no one sees.<div>00Ggjj-30192284.jpg.44a0bc9ae5e7dccd42d9f71785692a5f.jpg</div>

Looking east over Thousand Pockets to the rez. You can just see White Mesa in the upper right hand corner adjacent to the tree branch.

You can definitely see the brown band from local coal fire eletricity plant. This clears up for a few hours or days after a storm, otherwise, it is permanent.<div>00Ggk7-30192584.jpg.fdeabad389a5274f8828559e2afacd14.jpg</div>

My trusty chariot. This machine drinks gas like I drink beer but she can go anywhere. Huge tires, wonderful low-end torque, tall differential, no luxuries, 4x4, lockers and she loves to play in the sand. Add the D50, RZ67, Velvia, and the Xterra...I am in heaven.

This machine has taken me to some of Nature's finest displays!<div>00GgkL-30192984.jpg.e41a337b5edd3665fcfdb40c923364e1.jpg</div>

JD,

I've been following your posts and pix of this area for the last few days. I love this part of the country, visit as often as I can and appreciate the local resident's information. Your pix brought back many memories of my drives through your part of the world.

Last fall I was driving through the area, I had visited the Best Friends Animal sanctuary in Kanab and was on my way to the North and South Rim of the GC, and points east. A couple of quick questions, one nature and the other equipment related:

I saw a huge bird feasting on something about a hundred yards off the hwy, it flew away as I approached and long before I could get my camera out. I had the largest wingspan of anything I've ever seen. I assumed it was a Condor, right? My friend maintained it was a very large eagle...she's usually right about all things having to do with wildlife.

And I stopped at a little camera shop in Kanab--I forget the name--loaded with all kinds of interesting photo equipment, darkroom stuff and what have you. The man said he did/does most of his business through ebay. Do you know the name of his store?

Thanks, Sergio.

Thanks.

Terry's Camera Trading Co. Kanab, Utah.

I think the number is 435-644-5981.

Thanks for the reminder. I've always wanted to hold a Leica and he has dozens of them!

I have never seen a camera store stuffed with so much nice antique photographic hardware.

The bird was probably a Golden Eagle. Very common to see them on the side of the road feasting on road kill mule deer ouside of Kanab. Condors have big white numbers on their wings.

I am employed as a Houseboat Mechanic at Lake Powell. I've been doing this job since 1994. I love the work and the surrounding wilderness.

My property is in Church Wells, Utah so the Grand Staircase is, literally, in my backyard.

Say "Hi" if you come through.