Toronto Islands

frank_dzambic

Has anybody been to the Toronto Islands? I just heard about these,

and figured it's where all the great Toronto skyline shots get taken

from. Apparantly there are three islands. Is the skyline view pretty

much the same from all of them or is one much better than the others?

Also, I'm not sure which way the islands and skyline are oriented.

Is it a better sunrise, or sunset shot, or are both equally as good?

Lastly, I notice that ferries run very frequently to the islands. Is

there something to do on them besides photograph the Toronto skyline?

My main concern though is the best island, and best time of day for

the skyline shots.

I live in Toronto. For more general information, have a look at the <a href="http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/island/index.htm">City of Toronto Parks Dept. page</a> about the Islands. You should also check out a general map like <a href="http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=centre+island,+toronto&ll=43.624878,-79.374335&spn=0.037964,0.081314&hl=en">this one</a>. Hopefully someone who has been to the Islands more recently will be able to help you with regard to where to find the best view. I suppose that technically there are three islands, but in reality they are extensively linked up by bridges. The western end of Ward's Island (Hanlan's Point) has the Island Airport on it. There are a few dozen (small, old) private homes on the Islands as well as an amusement park that operates in the summer (Centreville) -- hence the ferries. In general it's a popular park and picnic spot in the summertime -- they have barbecues, baseball diamonds, the whole deal. There are also a number of yacht clubs and marinas there.<p>

As far as I know no private cars are allowed on the island, except perhaps for those with homes there... this could be a factor in preparing your trip. My advice would be to go early and scout out promising vantage points, keeping in mind the time and direction of sunset.

I also live in Toronto. There are actually more than three islands, but all are connected. There are ferries that take you to three different locations. Cost is something like $5, and the trip over is 5 to 10 minutes (if memory serves me).

Centre Island seems to be the most popular destination. It has the amusement park for kids. Wards Island at the east end has a neighbourhood with a number of residents. (One ferry runs to it through the winter). Hanlon's Point at the west end has a lighthouse that is reportedly haunted. It still gives me the creeps because when I was a kid, the Trillium ferry (now restored) was rotting in a lagoon nearby, and that really scared me. The island airport is further west of Hanlon's Point.

You can power walk from Hanlons, through Centre, to Wards in maybe 45 minutes.

For the shot you are hoping for, go to Centre Island, and turn left. Follow the shore that faces the city. Before long you start seeing landscapes. Last time I did it was on a February day a few years back. Fewer leaves to block the view of the city, but flippin cold. I power walked with my gear from Hanlons to Wards when I missed the Ferry.

Another Toronto type here, and you're asking about my favorite place in the city.

<p>

Sunset will come from the rightmost island, Hanlan's point, but the view of the skyline is good from all of the islands. One of my favorite views of the skyline is from the end of the Long Pond near Wards island, where you can frame the downtown core around the inlet of the pond, showing lots of foilage. Also look on your maps for the tiny footbridge linking Snake Island to wards island, there is a small beach there that had a huge piece of gnarly driftwood that could make an interesting foreground element.

<P>

Hanlan's Point has some other interesting features like the old water filtration plant, which sits beside a beautiful reflecting pond. Here is a link to a photo I did there a few years ago, <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/361435&size=md">mirror lake</a>

<P>

The island has lots to offer. The ride over takes about 10-15 minutes and you can enjoy the breeze on the deck or sort out your camera bag inside the cabins. The picture you want is probably best done during sunset.

<P>

Have a good trip over, and post the results if you can..

<P>

-Frank.

Yes that is where the best skyline photo locations are.

If you are really seiour about it spend the day. Head east from central ferry dock after you get off. Hike along the shoreline. There are varying ahots from sunrise, noon, sunset dusk and midnight because the shoreline runs east to west. However the main ferry only runs to about 11pm so you have to hike over to wards or Hanlen's to get back to mainland (find out which one it is, I can't remember). If you are game you can stay overnight and catch the sunrise.

Have fun

Excellent, thanks Robert. Not having to worry about a ferry schedule would certainly be even more convenient! Especially for a sunrise, since as Danny mentioned, it might be tricky to get a sunrise from one of the islands.

I'm definitely going to have to check this out next time I'm passing through Toronto.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to the Toronto Islands. I go quite often and have taken hundreds of pictures there. The islands are great. The vegetation is abundant, there are lots of animals, and the peace and quiet is fantastic. As for the skyline, I think that the best spot would be more or less in the middle, maybe Algonquin island or Centre island.

You can see a few small pictures I made on the islands very recently on bartvb.blogspot.com.