Nikon 9000 ED now scans 10x SLOWER than normal

I'm scanning 4000dpi 16-bit 6x6 negs/transparencies at 4x Multi-sampling w/

Super Fine on. Software is Nikon Scan 4.0.2 and holder is the optional glass

slide holder for 120 film (non-rotating). Color settings are calibrated RGB w/

no extra processing (ie ICE, GEM, ROC, etc).

Here's how it started - the other night a scan completed, but when I looked at

the file w/in the Nikon Scan window, only the very top section of the image was

visible - the rest was white. I closed the image without saving and started to

rescan the image using the same settings. Now, if you've heard the caffeinated

heartbeat sound of this scanner - it's now a long, slow pulse and everything I

scan is taking 10x as long. The problem seems to be relative - now 1x 8-bit

non-super fine scan takes longer than a 4x 16-bit Superfine image would take

before (but not nearly as long as it's taking now - I'm talking over 2 hours for

a scan).

Any ideas on what's going on?

jj

You may have an hair ball in your temporary file system. Assuming you have a PC, try closing all applications and run "%temp%" in the Start/Run menu. Delete all the files shown, or as many as possible. Some process might be sucking up your CPU time. Look in Program Manager to see. It's better to reboot than to arbitrarily stop processes.

Thanks Edward - I'd love for this to be a software fix. I didn't know about that shortcut to temp. Cleared the folder, rebooted and attempted to use the scanner fresh. I got the same results.

In addition to carrying out the commands slowly, the scanner is taking longer than normal to recognize the commands (load thumbnail, preview, scan) - it pauses for a few seconds prior.

With these tests it's developed a hic-up that fades in and out - maybe the sound of something misplaced among the moving parts? Broken tooth of a gear maybe? A few days ago, I did pull the tray out a second before it was done ejecting. Are the internals that finicky? I didn't think it was violent enough to cause damage. Just plastic on plastic for a second.

Another software angle - comparing NikonView software to Vuescan:

I've attempted to scan w/ VueScan v8.4.06 (I could not find settings for 8/16-bit, Standard/Fine or Sampling) a 6x6 negative at 4000dpi (9k x 9k) image - took 7:26 sec. Nikon Scan v4.0.2 w/ 8-bit, Standard and 1x Sampling at the same res took 7:10sec.

I will post a speed test for the NikonView at 4x, Super Fine, 16-bit, 4000dpi 6x6 later tonite.

No one's had anything like this happen to their Nikon 5000/8000/9000?

I probably broke the thing w/ that tug, didn't I?

It may be a windows issue, you know, windows do receive the odd update now and when, and these have been known to create cook-ups.

Before I would send it away for repair i would.

- Uninstall and reinstall orginal drivers and software from the CD.

- Try the scanner out on another machine (the scanner did come with a FW card, so it should be possible to try it out on another computer, though it may be better if that machine does have a FireWire card/plug itself, to eliminate error options).

If the scanner seem to behave equal on both computers, it can seem that either the firewire card is broken (if you used the same card on both computers), or that the scanner is indeed broken somehow.

The first step to fixing a problem, is to identify what it actually is.

Really sorry to head you are haveing problems with suck expensive equipment, good luck to you, let us know how it works out.

(i am considering a purcase these days, but it will be interesting to see if one should buy a 3 year repair service as well).

Regards

K

Thanks for the suggestions. I've uninstalled the NikonScan software, cleaned the registry w/ the utility provided on the CD. Rebooted, then tried again. Same results.

Next shot is to try out the scanner on another computer. I'm thinking it's not a software problem as I was getting roughly the same speeds between VueScan and NikonScan. I'll let you know what the results are. Fingers crossed.

Should I have to send it back, I've got a 3 year warranty w/ the scanner (not manufacturer).

I've experienced drastically slower scanning speeds with my CS 5000 after unplugging the USB connector -- for one reason or another, e.g. cleaning dust from the motherboard -- and then plugging it into a different port than the original. Placing it back on the "favored" port fixed the problem straight away.

These machines can be prima donnas, eh Scott? No change in USB ports lately.

I did install the scanner on a 2nd machine and experienced the same lag in scanning. 1st can took 1.5 hrs. The 2nd one I cut off after 2 hours - it wasn't half way done yet.

I have to wait till Monday before following through on hardware repairs. So if there's a potential fix out there, I hope I find it before then.

Thanks to everyone for your help in this.