newborn with available light

laura_keane

I am shooting a newborn today. I don't have all the fancy lights. So I was

going to use window light with 800 or 400 ISO. I was just wondering what

should I set f/stop and apeture to get really great pictures. I will be using

a Pentax ZX-7 and a Pentax ZX-L. Any suggestions?

You might want to consider using a reflector, you can get a cheap one from walmart, get a large silver truck windshield screen (I hope u understand what I am taking abt). You might have to place one in front of the subject and one facing the window, depending on the mood u want to create. You could also use gold reflector if u are shooting color.

<p>I'd use a tripod and close the lens at f/5.6 or higher, if it is possible (it depends on the

available light, of course). Newborns do not move much so you can usually shoot at 1/15 if

using a tripod.

<p>Having said that, I have lovely pictures of my daughter at f/2... but you must be very

careful with the DOF when shooting at these apertures.

<p>--ben

It's a good idea to move in close and meter manually off the baby's skin (or your hand), then just leave on those settings. Try to get 1/60th second minimum shutter speed, or 1/125 if you can. If possible, get the f-stop at least one smaller than wide open, unless your aim is to throw background off-focus. Manual focus might be best too, to avoid misfocus on crip toys, etc. You might try depth of focus preview if your camera supports it. Your subject isn't apt to run out the frame: it's really the easiest time of life to photograph kids ;o

Laura, check out the learn tab at the top of the site, It will give you the info you need. Aperture+ shutter=exposure.There is no right settings just good exposures, changing the aperture(fstop) controls depth of field and shutter controls motion in a nut shell. Positon baby near the window(avialable light)then use a white reflector on the other side of the face to fill in or reflect the light, by doing this before you touch the camera you'll see by moving the reflector around you can get rid of the eye hidden in the shadows. You can use the white cardboard that goes in car widshields, a piece of cardboard, a white sheet, be creative but get it in close and positon your camera at the same level as the baby's eyes. Then post a picture.