using and external flash (vivitar thrystor 3700) with flash sensor to

trigger it from my built in on my d50. I really like portrait sudio,

and am looking for some unexpensive lightings. I have tried some flood

lights on regular lamps, and work light as suggested earlier, but it

gets so hot it just doesn't work.

I am looking at a very inexpensive seeting, with 2 lights if

possible... Can't really afford alienbees or white lighting at the

moment... i found this:

http://bkaphoto.com/detail.asp?section=Flash%20and%20Lighting&cat=Light%20Kits&product=SPFLK7

Anyone tried them? what is the main difference with a regular strobe?

( besides adjusting the output)

Would it be ok or too weak in a house setting? I plan to shoot in my

living room (small ) or on location in small rooms.

Thanks for your time. Nick.

Hate to say it but there is no such thing as an inexpensive lighting kit. Problem is that

once you start getting familiar with the kit you will want accessories and that's where the

money adds up!

Once you feel that you've maxed out your use of hot lights and "learning" the basics, save

up and get something decent (alien bees) and if you're really serious, save up and get

something great (Elinchrom, Profoto).

p.s. good hot lights are not cheap FTR... tota's are quite expensive.

Another "pro line" that you may want to consider is Photogenic. They have been in the business for quite some time and have literally been the system that most portrait studios gravitate to because their system of reflectors and umbrellas and soft boxes is so extensive. Their flash lighting also has modelling lights built into the flash heads. The modelling light is used to "model", that is; to adjust the light so that you can see what the reflector is doing. Another plus, the new flash heads work with the old reflectors.

Their bayonet mounting system is quick (this will help you feel confident if you make lighting changes during a setting).

When you are confident, you will be more at ease, the customer perceives this as professional. When the subject feels you are professional they are more at ease. When they are more at ease, the photography improves. When the photography improves you sell more photos. When you sell more photos you can buy more lights. When you buy more lights, the photography improves again. By this time your hooked. Thirty years later, you'll be where I am, only by that time you'll probably be able to tell everyone by mental telepathy or something what you know.

If you can afford only one light, my recomendation would be the 1250

with a infrared remote control sensor. This will allow you to change the light intensity from anywhere in the camera room. For now, bounce light off of a reflective surface and back onto the subject if you can't afford another light to serve as a fill. The thing you will need to consider is the quality of light from both of your "sources".

Something to really watch for is a gremlin called a background shadow. It is usually part of the shadow of the subject that falls on the backgound and is unnoticed until the photo is printed. In a limited lighting system as you've described it is as common as air.

Good Luck and good shooting!