disposable batteries. Has anybody out there had any good experience

with any of these third party rechargeable 2CR5 batteries? I hear

that the disposable Lithium 2CR5 battery does last a long time - but

how long is long? I've only had the transmitter for about a month

and I really like it. Are the rechargeables worth the money or would

it just be better to keep a spare in the bag and replace it when

used.

I live in South Africa and the disposables cost R100 which when

converted to USD equals about $16.70 each.

Thanking you.

Craig

Agree the standard disposable 2CR5 lasts a very long time in the ST-E2. I think it is a low drain piece of equipment.

However, I'm also curious if anyone has experience with rechargable 2CR5s. I would have loved to have had these for my EOS3, which ate batteries like a Hummer drinks gasoline.

B & H lists a general brand battery as 2CR5 6v lithium for the ST-E2 at $5.95 in the accessory

section of the ST-E2. Meanwhile, the same ST-E2 page lists a 2CR2 lithium 6v battery to be

used for it under the specifications section. I bought other types of batteries from

Zbattery.com for a great price, so I checked there and saw a rechargeable kit for $31.50. The

same site has a Samsung 2CR5 6v battery for $4.25. These are decent prices and not as

expensive as some have found elsewhere.

First of all these disposable batteries last up to 7 years from production date. So it wouldn't be a mistake to have a spare in the bag. The transmitter is a low current application and drains current only when triggered, so the battery will last for years when moderately used. I did measurements with this type of battery under different load conditions and you can be sure, this battery will last for a while. Compared to rechargable kits you will be on the positive side of the bill with the diposable battery. Not only due to money investment. Rechargable batteries work much better for high current applications and not for low current drainage. When not in use they loose 50% of their capacity after 1 month and so on. In other words, they will be most likely low on capacity or even discharged when you need them.

The only convincing argument for rechables here would be the environment. But technically there is none for this application.

Hi Udo,

So if the ST-E2 Transmitter is switched on and mounted on the camera, will it not draw any power from the battery until fired? I feel that if I put the camera down to make adjustments to the props or wait for make up to be corrected, it must be switch off. Does it go into a kind of stand by mode? If left on for half an hour for example.

Thanks

Craig