use. Have any of you used the two systems side by side, and if so, can

you post some images that might hint at any differences? I am

interested in the leaf shutters, as i find the Mamiya leaf lenses a

tad tedious to use. With Mamiya i am very fond of the lens quality,

which i deem similar to a Sonnar in terms of its tonal range and

contrast. how does Bronica compare?

thanks in advance,

t+

I have used Bronica GS-1 (6x7) and I use Mamiya RB67 now (those two cameras are comparable as they are both 6x7 SLRs). I cannot honestly say that there's any significant difference between the lenses (I use C-lenses (multicoated) with RB and Bronica PG line is multicoated as well). I would assume that the situation will be similar in the 645 format (I think there are two lines of lenses for ETRsi, make sure you get the newer one).

If choosing between Mamiya and Bronica, choose based on the feature set. Bronica has leaf-shutters and electronic shutter (very accurate), Mamiya gives you more choices in lenses and I'd say that Mamiya's used gear market is just immense.

I have used both systems and the differences are more a matter of features then image quality. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference seeing 2 images side by side of the same seen. I have opted to stay with the Bronica system as there are more features available for my interests. For example, I have been spending alot of time shooting velvia 135 on an ETRSi using a wide back and a wide angle lens for some great panos. For the Bronica ETR line, the better of the lens types are the PE lenses. They are a bit more contrasty then the MC and EII lenses. Good Luck!

Thanks guys,

that has been helpful, seeing that you have tasted both systems. So now i shall have to decide if it is worth my swapping out, or even deciding if i want to move back to a 6x6 rather than the 645, seeing that Bronica gives that option. I became frustrated with the plastic feel of the mamaiya 645 super, despite the fact that i like using it, the feel is just not pleasant after or during a shoot whilst using my M3. if the SQ and ETR lenses were compatible, then i would jump for one of each format, but i gather they are not, for some reason. and a leaf shutter would be handy. ho hum.

t+

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Bronica SQA. My last med format was a Mamiya RB67. The RB67 and it's accessories was much heavier than my SQA. I currently carry a body, six lenses, prism, two backs, hoods and filters in a LowePro Mini Trekker!

The image quality from the Zenzanon lenses is superb. I also appreciate the 6x6 format for ease of shooting.<div>00Gbah-30059284.jpg.cfd0e311baeb5ae5bb30ffdce5a5504b.jpg</div>