new to MF

brian_faini

I search a bit and didnt see these answers so... here I go

I am about to buy my first medium format and I have a few questions

I will be doing mainly landscape and portrait work

So am correct to assume that a 50mm MF lens would give a similar FOV

to a 28mm 35mm lens? and a 90mm MF lens would give me similar FOV of a

50mm 35mm lens.

I plan on getting an RB67 pro-s w/ wl finder 120 back and 90mm lens.

Will the Cokin "P" series holder be fine for my lenses if I were to

have the 65mm, 90mm, 180mm lenses?

Would you stay away from a bargain lens form KEH? I have yet to do

buisness with them so I am not sure what a bargain lens would be, it

says that optical perfomance should be fine just brassing and such.

Also if there is anything else I should know before committing to MF

regarding the Mamyia RB67 pro-s

Thanks in advance,

Brian

In my experience, "Bargain" at KEH is more like an "very good" anywhere else. I've bought a lot of equipment from them--a few thousand dollars worth--nearly all of it "bargain," and it's all been good. Some of the "bargain" items I've bought looked as though they were store demos--pristine Others looked somewhat used, but with care--not abuse.

I haven't seen anything that was anywhere near as bad as their description of "bargain." I suppose some of it is, but I've never seen it.

I returned one "bargain" RZ67 body to them because it had a small sign that I knew indicated extreme wear, even though it was still working perfectly. No hassle with the return.

I would not hesitate a second to buy a "bargain" item from them, unless it was something I knew was very delicate or prone to breakage anyway.

Keh is great. Bargain grade at KEH is like excellent on Ebay or a grade 8 at B+H used, except for backs. A keh bargain grade back is lower than lenses. If you dont like it send it back.

The dual release.

You need a cable release to the lens at least. You set lens to mlu, press the main button either via cable or finger (that locks the mirror), then release the lens shutter via a cable conneted to the lens.

I have an RB that I use for landscapes are portraits (occasionally) and love it. I did use cokin p holder with it and while it worked on the 90mm it was really quite small so I went for lee. Using wider lenses this might be an even bigger issue.

The 50mm is a bit different to other RB lenses so read up on it.

Also make sure you get C or KL lenses.

<blockquote><i>So am correct to assume that a 50mm MF lens would give a similar FOV to a 28mm 35mm lens? and a 90mm MF lens would give me similar FOV of a 50mm 35mm lens.</i></blockquote>

67 format is really easy, just divide the focal length by two. So a <b><a href="http://www.mamiya.com/lenses.asp?id=1&id2=15&id3=17&id4=260&id5=264" target="_new">50mm</a></b> lens is like an 25mm equivalent in 35mm format.<bR> 

<blockquote><i>Will the Cokin "P" series holder be fine for my lenses if I were to have the 65mm, 90mm, 180mm lenses?</i></blockquote>

Like almost all R*67 lenses, these three have a filter size of 77mm. If your filter holder has a 77mm adapter, you should be fine. But you won't be able to use lens hoods.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>Also if there is anything else I should know before committing to MF regarding the Mamyia RB67 pro-s</i></blockquote>

First, if you are planning to use the camera hand-held for portraits or other close focusing subjects with a tele lens, I recommend the 150mm f/3.5 over the 180mm. It's a full stop faster, is quite a bit shorter and better the balance since it is not as front-heavy as the 180mm. It really makes a difference.

<p>

And second, why not consider a modern RZ67? It can use all RB lenses plus the electronic Sekor Z's. And the fast 110mm f/2.8 standard lens is excellent.

This is to answer the last part of your post.

"Also if there is anything else I should know before committing to MF regarding the Mamyia RB67 pro-s"

I bought an RZ system over the last few months. I have a Rollei 6000 system which I love but the lenses are really expensive. You can get (new, or mint) Mamiya RZ stuff really cheap these days.

For landscape use, make sure you can contend with the bulk and weight of the Mamiya RZ or RB with backs, multiple lenses, tripod etc in the field.

I just went on a trip to the mountains. I prepared by purchasing fresh slide and BW film, and a new tripod head. Just before I left I wimped out and grabbed my digital SLR kit, no tripod.

But if you have the money and love cameras you should just get one because you cannot beat the price.