Please help a Newbie, Toyo 45g or Sinar A-1???

Hello, i'm a begining photo student, and one of my classes requires a

4x5 view camera. After some research and many hours spent on ebay and

the likes, i have found two cameras that are within my budget (about

$500 for a body). My two options are either a Sinar A-1 for $300 or a

Toyo 45g for $400. Both are in good condition. I'm still very confused

and not sure which is the better camera, (and what are the major

pro/cons of each) let alone which is a better deal. Portability/weight

is not much of an issue, since i owuld mostly be useing it at

home/studio. I'm also concerned with resale value, since i've just

seriously invested in a digital SLR system, i'm not sure wheather i

will be pursuing large format beyond the realms of my class, and so it

is quite possible that i would be selling the camera after i am done

with it. I also have a question about lenes, i have been looking and

quite a few of them are sold without shutters (barrel lenses), i was

wondering if its possible to mount one with a shutter, and if not, how

are they used?

Thank you very much,

-Nataliya

Take a look at the Sinar F with bag bellows!

http://www.keh.com/shop/class.cfm?bid=LF&sid=newused&crid=10943695

its hard to believe the class would require all the students to go out and buy a 4 by 5. What school does this ????

kind of like a driving school wanting all the students to go out and buy a mack truck, ferrari, volkswagon, cadillac, chevrolet...

What are your requirements for this class?

what are they trying to teach? objectives?

The 45G is a much heavier, sturdier camera than the Sinar A-I. Either one will do the job. I've used both. The Toyo wins hands down for a workhorse that will last a long time. I'm assuming that both are in good shape. The nice thing about the 45G is that it has geared rise/fall and geared shift. The 45G is a rugged workhorse designed for heavy studio use while the A-1 is a low end, older Sinar that was designed for inexpensive entry into the Sinar system. If you can play with them, make sure everything locks tight and if you can, take the camera into a darkroom and test the bellows with a flashlight to make sure there are no light leaks. Then, if the gears work smoothly on the focus you will have to choose. I would take the 45G.

I have a both a Toyo 4x5 and 8x10 G ....... I am happy with both..... You regularly see lensboards, and accessories on the used market on FeePay ......... The market is just loaded with the Omega Toyo series view cameras so this is probably the reason you can buy accessories so easily and cheaply.......... $400 is the price most Toyo G's have been selling for on FeePay for the last year......Parts are also easily available.....The system can interchange from 4x5 to 8x10........Hopefully you will get some accessories with your camera......... Beware that Toyo bellows are nortorious for pinholes....... If there is any wear in the corners , chances are you will have a leaker.......John Cremati..

The A-1 is an excellent camera. It was designed as anemtry into the Sinar cameras. It is light, easy to pack, takes all Sinar accessories, requires only a moderately heavy tripod and is a joy to use.

I locate many of these formy students and they serve them well. By the time they use them for a few weeks,no one is ready to give up the camera.

The A-1 will likely be goig stron when the Toyo is worn out.

Jim

The A1 is a bottom end Sinar, was put together to tempt students away from real field cameras and the cheaper, uglier, more substantial and utilitarian Calumets etc. The G is a work horse as someone commented, far more substantial. You don't find the Sinar cheapie in working studios, you do find Toyos.