50mm leica m mount

dford

Inane question. Looking for the lightest weight and most compact 50mm

lens, not 40mm, for Leica M mount., prefer f2. Is it one of the

Russian lenses, like the Jupiter 3 or 8? The old collapsible

Summicron? A 50mm sonnar with m adapter? What�s the answer?

If you can suffer f3.5 a coated post-war Elmar would be the lightest, most compact lens. Excellent performer too, one of the few lenses I've owned that actually did have some "special" quality about it. (for the record the other was a 35mm f2.0 Zuiko)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm on a weight loss plan. Selling the MP for a Zeiss Ikon, already have the summicron 35mm IV and the elmar 50/2.8. Possible problem though with collapsible lenses on the Ikon. Summicron 50 without the built in hood looks to be the best low weight alternative.

I would glady endure the few extra grams of a collapsible in my pocket instead of the bulk of a rigid snout! In an ergonomic context weight is not necessarily negative when bulk is also involved. I like my faithful old Summicron, but I could become fond of the newer Elmar. With today's emulsions a single stop is not always a critical difference.

I own a Leitz Summitar 50/2 collapsible LTM that i mount on Leica M2 with appropriate Voigtlaender Cosina adapter (50/75 type). I find that it's a fantastic performer. Another and better solution it's a Summicron 50/2 LTM, collapsible or rigid version. The Sonnar 50/2 it's very very good standard lens, but the Orion adapter are very very rare and ultra expensive tool. I dont like the Russian LTM Jupiter 8 50/2.

But if you can afford, choose the current Summicron M 50/2 or VC Nokton 50/1,5. Are both modern lenses and better performer than older versions (above all the Summicron 50/2).

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli