where is the difference? Astra, Elite, Lisco??

geert_de_keyser1

What are the differences between the Fidelity Elite and Fidelity Astra film

holders? The Astras are sold a bit more expensive but where are the differences?

Is it just that the Astras print a number on your film or is there more to it?

And how do they compare to the Liscos that are even a little bit more expensive

then the Astras?

"Toyo" is the word that you want to see on your darkslides.

I've seen a great number of used Fidelity holders that have a problem with the closure of the bottom flap, caused through warping of the plastic. I've never seen the same, or any other, problem with Toyos.

After first spotting the problem, I carefully examined all my existiing Fidelity holders, and nearly every one of them showed some sign of it. Never bought Fidelities since. Luckily, I never had that many of them to start with.

You can spot the problem by just running a finger over the edge of the slide at the bottom. The edge of the closure flap sticks up beyond the body of the slide, and stubbornly refuses to press down flush. This means that the slide won't rest tightly against the camera back as it should, and the film is put a small distance away from the true filmplane at one edge.

OK, so the warping might only occur after some time or use, but why take that risk?

For all practical purposes when you see Riteway, Lisco, Elite, Fidelity, and Regal (further divided into plain "Regal" and "Regal II"), or a combination of those names, on a holder (e.g. "Lisco Regal II") you're looking at the same holder, made by the same company. Once upon a time I think Fidelity and Riteway were two different companies but one acquired the other a while back. For some reason the acquiring company kept the different names even though the holders were identical.

I forget how Lisco differs from the others. I own several Liscos and I just pulled one out to refresh my memory and didn't notice any difference between it any my other modern plastic holders. I'm sure someone else will know the difference, I think there is one but it isn't obvious from looking at the Liscos I have. I've never heard of Astra.

I own many different kinds of holders ranging from old wood holders made by or for Kodak, Graflex, and Agfa, later but still old plastic holders with metal dark slides and dark slide tops made by Graflex, Fidelity, et al, and the current Fidelity/Elite/Riteway/Lisco/Regal all-plastic holders. None are perfect, all do the job of holding the film more or less flat and keeping out the light, which is all a holder needs to do. I haven't bought any holders in several years because I have about 60 and that's more than I need. But when I was accumulating them I only bought about 10 new plastic ones, after that I just bought the least expensive used ones being sold on ebay that didn't look all beat up. I prefer the old wood ones for a combination of minimal expense and nice looks when cleaned up.

I've never had the problem Pete mentions. I do usually retape older used ones with some black tape bought at Home Depot, not to prevent light leaks because the tape doesn't keep light out it just serves as a hinge, but to make sure the older tape doesn't come loose and let the base fall off. Since the tape doesn't perform a light-blocking function I don't think the particular kind of tape matters just so it holds the base on through repeated openings and closings. I also removed the black paint from old wood holders so that the natural wood shows through.

If I were a serious hiker I'd probably avoid the wood ones because I think they weigh a little more than plastic but I don't do more than day hikes and for that the extra few ounces isn't a big deal and the wood ones usually sell for much less than the newer plastic ones. Actually I don't use any of the holders too much any more, I tend to use Readyloads instead because I don't use as much film as I used to and can handle the extra cost.

Sheet film holders were dicussed here about a week ago: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GQuj

Currently the same factory makes Fidelity Elite, Lisco Regal II holders. I think they also make Riteway holders. The modern, plastic Fidelity and Lisco holders are essentially identical, differing only in the name and decorative pattern cast into the plastic.

The differences that Brian was trying to remember are probably about the Riteway holders, not the Lisco holders. The Riteway holders have a button that prevents removal of the darkslide when the holder when the holder isn't in the spring back and also a wheel for imparting a number to the film. I have never used one.

The Riteway holders cost more because of these features. I have never heard of Astra. New Fidelity Elite and Lisco Regal II holders are identical, so if some store charges more for Lisco, buy the Fidelity. Unless the seller identifies special features on the Fidelity Astra, its probably just another name cast into the plastic of an otherwise identical holder, but that's only a guess.

I have used modern Fidelity, Lisco, Toyo and Linhof holders. They all work well and all have held up well. The Toyo and Linhof holders appear to be made a bit better.

I use Fidelity Elites. I switched to them because one of the other brands, I think Lisco, had a poorly designed light trap that failed when the flap started to wear on the ends. All my Fdelity Elites are great.

Brian, wood 4x5 holders actually weigh less than plastic, not by much but they are lighter. In 5x7 wood is a lot lighter. It's why all of my 5x7 holders are wood. I had a chance to purchase a set of a 10 plastic holders for next to nothing. I was hoping to cut down on weight but found the plastic to weigh so much more than the wood that I passed.

Allen, it probably wasn't Lisco holders that you found unsatisfactory compared to Fidelity holders, unless perhaps they were very old holders. As stated above, Fidelity and Lisco are now and have been for many years the same holders. People who should know report that they are made by the same factory. My Fidelity and Lisco holders purchased in the past two decades look identical except for cosmetic details. The Fidelity Elite holders are embossed with the words "4x5 Film holder Fidelity Mfg. Co. Sun Valley CA. U.S.A. Pats. 2,946,271 3,091,168", while the Lisco Regal II holders have the same words, except for the substitution of "Lisco Products Co." as the company name.