Small Shoulders - Which Bag for Nature Photography?

jean melissa

I am a relatively new beginner photographer who is looking to purchase a camera

bag for taking nature photography. Equipment - D70s, 18-70mm kit lens, 50mm/f1.8

lens, 105mm Nikon micro lens.

My problem. 5'6". 130lbs. Small frame = small shoulders. Need a good bag I

can walk/bike/hike around with that is appropriate for outdoor conditions.

I am considering the Slingshot 200 (would it fall off my shoulders) or an

alternative.

Thanks! Jeannie

The SlingShot 200 is an amazing bag but you may be better off with a mini trekker aw or micro trekker 200 AW, esp if you're on bike. My slingshot 200 tends to displace slightly when I've been very active. Ok, maybe not the micro trekker.. I'm 5'5" and even I find the micro cute but lightly smallish. Look at the mini instead.

FWIW, women photographers that I know seem to prefer backpacks or hip/belt packs instead of sling bags.

My shoulders are so sloped that I can't hold a shouder bag either, I sympathize

Go to LLBean.com, Cabelas.com, and other outdoor outfitters for the larger fanny packs, and use some closed cell foam to pad.

Cheaper, and usually more useful than any "photo" denominated gear

Also, any local WalMart, Costco, Dick's Sporting or the like would have fishing vests, again cheaper and handier than "photo" vests, and which might easily handle your comparatively small load

Get a lowpro Orian AW bag. It comes with a backpack that is detachable, the camera part

is both fanny pack or over the sholder. Don't waste your time with sling bags all pro's who

used sholder bags have back damage from it. The Orian will take all you gear plus filters

and you will have a little room to grow.

Hi Jeannie,

I am 5'5", and I have found the LowePro micro trekker 200 to be quite comfortable. I am able to carry an amazing amount of weight in this pack for miles and not feel the need to shift the pack around to alleviate shoulder fatigue. I have often wondered if LowePro also makes external frame backpacks for backpackers!

Cheers, Dee

actually...I have always worn my shoulder bags with the strap going to the opposite shoulder of where the bag hangs.....and I'm 6 ft 2 in....I gotta look for a long strap or replace the one on it, but at 5 ft 6 in youu should have no problem. They are much more secure feeling hung this way, don't flop around as much when I kneel down, and thieves (I do a lot of Street (city) photography) definitely can't just rip it off your shoulder. I also wear the bag backwards (ie the top flap lifts up and AWAY from me) that way all the junk ;o) in the bag faces me, without the stupid flap in the way. never riden a bike with them though.

As far a rain protection.........I can't think of any bag that is totally waterproof. I usually keep a kitchen size trash bag in the bottom of my bag..........just in case.....to put it in if I really get stuck in a mess. Even actual backpacking bags use a cover for really wet conditions.