Which Online labs

Are there any articles or websites that rate Smugmug, Pictage,

Shutterfly etc...

I've used shutterfly with no complaints for some personal stuff but

I was wondering how some of you would rate the online labs.

Quality of prints, cost (hidden or otherwise), profession aupport,

availability of online proofing and album design... etc

One big annoyance would be those sites that call the customer

directly and try to push other products... any do that?

I second Smugmug for online guest ordering. I also use WHCC.com for album and wall prints.

An ideal site would offer a full professional lab, online guest ordering, and a variety of high-end albums that the client could layout online and have shipped to them directly. Alas, this company doesn't exist yet.

I saw the Candid2000 albums at WPPI -- They look pretty cheap but cost as much as some of the nicer albums. Their online print orders also seem expensive: I was quoted $.06 for each preview image plus a processing fee per order. Smugmug is $149 per year plus 15% per order.

Thanks Rich, unfortunately as a not yet official pro, I didn't think other sites would let me use their services occassionally. Unfortunately after quoting the couple $5 for a 4x6, I have just figured out that with that "per order fee" and credit card processing fee and the octs of the print, if anyone orders less than like 10 pictures, I will lose money. I may offer them a discount to order through me instead of online, which eliminates the whole convenience of the online ordering system :(

Good to know about the album quality too. Thanks

Hoping you get some more answers on here Robbie

Sometimes it's bad enough that the economics of weddings baffle me.

But I looked and looked at smugmug and pictage for their bottom line on their fee structure to determine what it would cost me from a picture and even album design... but that info is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

In my area we get 13million tourists visiting a year for destination portraits and people make a killing using students to shoot and the pro sells the packaged images. One pro needs 15 interns for the summer.

After the three weddings I'm scheduled to second shoot I may look seriously into medium format destination/environmental portraits, sell the nikon and leave the weddings to the pro's.

Digital and online proofing still seems like the way to go (my d200 would do nicely), but I had an offer to trade one of my d70 for an minty F5, and I've contemplated buying a pair of SQAI's or a blad.

My calculations are twenty plus hours of work for net $1500 tops (full day coverage)... vs $300-600 for two or three hours work where you have more control over the client and the light.