DSLR cleaning kit

mattwhite

I've used the Copper Hill method to clean my 300D sensor for several years, with no problems. But I don't have a bad dust problem and have only needed to clean it several times.

I also use Formula MC fluid and those kind of lens tissues, but only to clean my U/V filters. Thus far, I've managed to keep my greasy fingers off the surface of my lens, so a blower suffices to blow dust off the lenses. The Formula MC fluid works great to get stubborn streaks off Hoya U/V filters.

I use a Giotto Rocket blower for blowing dust off lenses and filters. And for a first attempt when cleaning my sensor. If the blower doesn't do it, then I break out the Copper Hill Sensor Swab, Pec Pads, and Eclipse fluid.

That's good to hear. I'll probably go ahead and order it up here in the next day or so.

The problem I've run into how is I've managed to get a few small fibers in the mirror area when I attempted to clean the sensor. I hope this kit allows me to end up with a clean chamber again!

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, seems to be a good deal but keep in mind that they sell several methods for sensor cleaning in one package. This: http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html?page=1 site offers some thoughts about the sensor brush and an affordable way to get one. The method worked for me. I googled "brush for cleaning dslr sensor", it gives a lot of references, all or most on well-known websites.

Some people experience a sticky goo or welded-on dust that static electricity on a brush will

not budge. Some have dragged a static charge brush and found that the brush fibers found

some lubrication in the recesses of the sensor and dragged it out across the sensor surface.

So sometimes a wet method is required. Might as well be prepared as it could occur at the

worst possible time.

My 10D was very bad, all my landscape shots had large spots in the sky. I could not shift the dust on the sensor at all with a blower. However I bought some pec-pads and eclipse fluid and created my own tool from a plastic knife, and then followed the instructions that are all over the net, similar to the ones here:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/

It took me about 15 pec pads and about 2 hours of work (the sensor was very dirty, like the dirt was welded on) but eventually I managed to completely clean it. BTW, in my opinion the sensor surface is not as fragile as some people would suggest, each time I used a new pec pad I used a little more pressure while cleaning. My sensor is not scratched or damaged at all. I think the key is to make sure that the pad is actually wet...

Of course this takes some nerve to do, and I was not naive about the risks.

Good luck.

If the Sensor Brush doesn't succeed in removing the dust specks, you can use the liquid method but never ever drop fluid on the sensor. Slightly wet the Sensor Clean swab as per the instructions on Visible Dust's website, and immediately dry the sensor with a clean and dry swab. You don't want any liquid under the sensor's glass.

Pierre

When I said wet I meant the pad, not the sensor, and I didn't clarify that what I was actually trying to say was no part of the pad that touches the sensor must be dry.

Plus, there was never enough eclipse on my pad to drip onto the sensor, nor could you squeeze any out with your fingers. The recommendation IIRC is two droplets, which is what I used.