Canon Eos 1D mk2 Bag

iain_bain

Hi, quick question. I have just moved to Eos and find none of the

Bags i have let me fit my new gear in. New system comprises 1DMk2 +

1V with booster, 16-35 2.8, 50 1.4, 70-200 IS 2.8, 580 flash.

Can anyone recomend a bag from their own experience that will take

this gear.

Thanks in advance.

Iain

Using the link that Michele provided, check out also the the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 500 AW and the Lowepro Stealth reporter 650 AW (the 650 will take a laptop as well) These bags are designed for working kits exactly as you have. I have a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 600 AW that may now be discontinued as its not listed on the site, but fits all that gear in with room to spare. A cautionary note tho, all the recommended bags so far are shoulder bags, and fairly sizable ones at that, they can get rather uncomfortable if you have to carry them any distance (over 1 kilometre) loaded up with a full kit

Dear Iain,

I have a variety of bags that I use depending upon circumstances. However, I mostly use the LowePro Stealth Reporter 650. The bag is very capacious and you can end up carrying too much equipment. Mine usually has a 1DMk2, 16-35, 24-70 (attached to camera), 70-200 IS 2.8, 50 1.4, 580 flash and battery pack, and 1.4 converter. I save a bit of weight by not including the booster when I add my 1V. As has already been stated you can add a laptop but try to use a small one (I usually have a PowerBook G4 but occasionally have to carry a PC and it is not as small).

I really wish that LowePro would come up with an option on their website where you can input the camera equipment you want to put into a bag and they come back with some recommendations.

Best Wishes

Ian

For an extremely similar kit (in size at least) I just picked up a <a href = "http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Toploader-75-AW-Review.aspx"> Lowepro 75 AW </a>, a <a href = "http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Lens-Case-1W-Review.aspx"> lens case 1W </a>, and a <a href = "http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-SlipLock-Pouch-50-AW-Review.aspx"> Sliplock pouch 50 AW</a>.

<p>

The camera fits nicely into the holster case with the 70-200/28 mounted, 17-40/4 in the 1W fixed to one side of the case, and the pouch fixed to the other side with the 1.4X, 50/1.4, & hood for the wide angle zoom (hood for the 70-200 stays inverted on the lens). 550 flash fits into the top part of the front pouch. While I'm only using a 10D, the 1D with booster should fit fine - it's sized more for that anyway.

<p>

(Also picked up a <a href = "http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Lens-Case-4-Review.aspx">lens case 4</a> case so I can carry the 300/4 across the other shoulder.)

<p>

It's a tot heavy when filled, but not too bad. Like I said - I've only just gotten it all, so don't have much field experience. But - the shoulder strap is long enough (just barely) to cross carry the bag which takes a lot of effort out of it. It also seems just a bit cumbersome to open/close the zipper while using a shoulder carry, but I might not be used to it yet. By and large, EXTREMELY well made and fits just what I wanted it to.

<p>

One issue that could be thought of as a drawback, is that if you're a believer in "security through obscurity" (I'm not) then this bag is not for you. There are zero consessions to covering it up - this screams camera bag.

<p>

But then ... when the bad guys see you pull your 1D out of your diaper bag they figure it out pretty quickly anyway. :)

<p>

/r

To me, bags and tripods belong to a category of their own in a sense that they require very personal fitting and what's good for me may well not be good for you. Thus I will - personally - never recommend a specific model. For example, I once saw on the web a bag that I really liked. However, when I got to the store and tried it out I found that it wasn't very comfortable. I tried another and - surprise - it was excellent. Thus I suggest you do the same. Go to the store and try them out yourself.

Suggesting a brand is a different thing and I (like many) find Lowepro bags to be excellent.

HTH.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Tamrac Model 608, PRO System 8.

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

After using Fogg,Domke,Lowepro,Billingham, Delsey & even Case Logic (Free for Trial), the only bag I use for my D20 w/BG,EOS 3 w/PB-E2, 17-40,28-105,70-200 f2.8 IS, 550ex, (2)420ex, (4)77mm filters, Gepe extreme card holder, batteries, B&W film, remote release and every thing else, is the System 8.

I swear by it.

It's like an extension of my body when working.

Don't take my word for it, go look at one for yourself.