I am slightly confused on this combo. About half the info I read says

that in order to remove the pb-e2 and shoot with just the body you

need to install the original grip. I was told by the sales rep that

the pb-e2 was just a cover that fits over the original body and that

there is no "original" body only grip.

Bottom line is I will shoot half the time with the grip off and I am

buying used so I need to know if something else needs to be purchased

or even can be.

I searched but could not find exact info.

You need to have the original battery cover ("grip") from the camera in order to shoot without the motor drive. I had one of these for a short while until recently but prefered the BP-E1 battery pack for size and weight reasons. I don't remember for certain, but there may be a way to store the battery cover inside the motor drive when the drive is on the camera.

The sales guy must a Nikon shooter. If you remove the PB-E2 you'll quickly realize the answer

by viewing the big hole where the grip should be. You need to buy the grip if you want to use

it without the PB-E2. I think the original grip is called the E-1. B&H has it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Jason, the BP-E1 is an external battery back that holds four AA batteries. It fits under the camera like the PB-E2 does but it does not have a motor. Both the PB and the BP replaces the standard battery cover. With The BP-E1 you can use either the AAs or the original 2CR5 battery. What you need is the cover for the battery compartment that came new with the camera. Im sure it has a part number, but I don't know what it is. The part that stores inside the PB-E2 that I mentioned in the other post is a protector for the drive coupling. You have to remove it to mount the PB-E2. It's round and it screws in place with a coin. You only need to remove it to install the PB-E1 and PB-E2 motor drives.

Jason,

Puppy Face is correct.

I have an extra grip off an EOS-3 that was stolen with the PB-E2 installed, so the grip is now just sitting here.

If you are interested let me know. It is like new - I always used the PB - and I will beat B&H's price.

I have been out of town for about six weeks and my wife tells me my email is not working on my computer. I will be home early next week. Post here if you send me an email.

Cliff

If you just want your EOS 3 without any grip at all (I don't really like the BP-E1 as even though it adds height to the camera, it doesn't have a verticla shutter release), the part you want is called the GR-E2. It uses one 2CR5 battery and makes the camera MUCH lighter. It is needed for shooting without a normal grip. Fortunatly, it changes rgips pretty fast. Here is a description of the grip that is needed when you aren't using the PB-E2: http://tinyurl.com/mtwym

the previous posts are correct. i happen to have one too. and had you posted this a week ago

i would've given it to you as my eos 3 had been stolen. i just got it back, apparently it was

damaged, so i took it to canon repair and had it all fixed up, now its better than when i

bought it! haha.

so. ill need to hang on to it. but im sure you can find one for sale.

As so often, what the sales rep told you is complete rubbish, and earlier posters have pointed you in the right direction. For the EOS-3 to operate, you need at any one time EXACTLY ONE of the following:

GR-E1 grip (2CR5 battery), original equipment with the EOS-3

GR-E2 grip (2CR5 battery), original equipment with the EOS-1V, fits the EOS-3, slightly better design internally

BP-E1 battery pack, dates back to the EOS-1, takes 4 AA batteries AND 1 2CR5 (switchable) to provide additional battery capacity, no effect on frame rate

PB-E1 power booster, dates back to the EOS-1, takes 8 AA batteries (lithium only in later version with * marking) or Ni-Cd pack E1, auxiliary controls for vertical use, increased frame rate available.

PB-E2 power booster, introduced with EOS-3, takes 8 AA batteries or Ni-Mh pack NP-E2, more auxiliary controls for vertical use, higher increased frame rate available.