Shopping for first 6x7 camera

tim_johnson8

The Mamiya RZ67 Pro II plus 110mm lens, 120 back and AE Prism Finder weighs 121 ounces or 7.5 pounds. That's a heavy camera by any stretch. The prism finder makes hand-holding difficult, IMO, and the waist-level finder would make it a lot easier, as well as lessening the total weight to 5.8 pounds.<p><p>

Acceptable photos can be taken with a monopod without mirror lockup (<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/viapiano/">click here</a>), but nothing beats a good tripod together with mirror lockup.

I just picked up a Pentax 6x7 with a 105 lens and a standard prism for around $100 used. You can't beat that with a stick. I really, really like the Pentax, it is a joy to use, very well designed, and the huge chromes are really something. However, it is heavy, and I wonder how long I would last on the trails with this beast. Conceivably, with the waist level finder, it would be manageable. But for hiking, why not get a rangefinder. Before you cough up the cash for a Mamiya 7, which is a really nice camera, why not fool around with a Moskva? It is a Russian copy of the famous Zeiss ikonta.

It folds up into a compact package that fits in your pocket, and it produces huge 6x9 chromes. I would recommend starting there to get your feet wet. The lens is superb, arguably better than the original Zeiss lens in the Ikonta, and it has a working rangefinder.

consider Fuji or Mamiya 7. Both light for outback country landscaping. IMO try to keep them manual as much as possible - best for outdoors. Both have short leaning curves, fairly priced, w/ steller glass.

Before dumping the 35mms into the heap, don't forget Xpan. One of the best in the genre, producing pano on MF level. I now carry the xpan and Mamiya 7 (65mm) for most everything. For street low light - Leica M6 and 35mm/1.4. Enjoy - Paul

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys!

This is my first time here with you guys, i have a question!

I worked many years with RB 67 SD, great camera, i bought Digital back LEAF but now start

my problems , i used my RB 67 with C 50 mm 4.5f below 1/30 sec shutter and i got blur

image, but with anothers RB lens no problems at all, maybe it's not compatible with this

kind

of lens " C " but " KL " type its ok!

I'm wrong or right? Please could you send me answer about this issue?

I have another solution ?

Best regards!