automatic transfer either from the camera or from a card reader (the

card is a Lexar 4GB 80X WA) it gets through about 4 images, then

sends an error message about a problem. The only way to transfer if

open the card up manually from the "My Computer" screen, then copy

the files using the copy function.

Any idea what's going on?? Has Nikon left a bug in the software, or

is it just me? I like being able to rename files when I Xfer them,

and this is a pain in the ......

I am not familiar with Windows (thank God!) but do you HAVE to use Nikon View to upload

from your camera or a CF card reader to your computer? Isn't it just "plug'n play" as it is on

a Mac? You put your card in the reader and, presto, the icon appears on your desktop. All

you have left to do is open it and drag the files to the folder of your choice on your

computer. No Nikon View, no additional software. The driver is kind of "built-in".

Just an idea: next time, format your card with the D2X before shooting. You never know.

Actually, you could try it right away. Then shoot ten or fifteen pictues and try

uploading again.

Also, if you shoot Raw (Nef) you want to make sure your update of Nikon View is the latest.

No, I get pixellation when I'm working with the files after pre-processing them w/ Capture 4.2. It's unpredictable, and might have something to do with image sizing... I don't ever get it with images from my D2H, oddly enough.

As to the xfer problem, I have been using the copy function and skipping Nikon View, but I miss the ability to rename pictures as I download them.

Remember, Mike, Nef files from the D2H and the D2X are very different animals. So it is

not all that odd that you might have some problems with one and none with the other.

Now, I agree that Nikon software can be lousy, unfriendly and, sometimes, downright silly.

But I've never heard of pixellation. When you say "working with the files after pre-

processing in Capture...", what kind of work are you talking about? With what program?

Maybe the transfer problem and the pixellation are somehow related. But first, do the

format test, and let us know if it changed anything when transferring in Nikon View

Transfer.

I will try my old 2GB card in the D2X at first opportunity and see if the card is the source of the issue. As far as I know I have the most updated Nikon View, but I'm gonna check!

The pixellation problem does not happen on all files, but is common at areas of high contrast...I'm going to try to upload one shortly... meanwhile, check out the odd "ghost" profiling on the attached picture...

Mike, that sample shot looks pretty horrid indeed in the clothes edges. Could it be the way you down-size to web? The only thing I <i>think</i> I may have noticed with the D2x files (as compared to my previous D100) is that the anti-aliasing filter seems much less agressive. Some shots with high-contrast diagonals exhibit the steps, even before downsizing.<p>

I can state that I have no trouble downloading my Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb card, even onto my pedestrian PC laptop with only 512Mb Ram. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it works. Maybe the 4Gb card has <i>issues</i>.