Looking for simple digicam with remote

Anyone know of a reasonable (>=3MP) quality digicam with the

following features.

(1) Silent (no whirring motor noise moving the lens around)

(2) No flash or flash can be disabled

(3) Has remote release capability

(4) Small

(5) Cheap

(6) Doesn't turn itself off after a short time

(7) Doesn't drain its batteries in a few minutes!

I want to set something up for remote wildlife work, but I need

something that won't disturb the subject. DSLRs are out because of

the size and mirror noise. I don't want something that resets the

flash to on after power down or after a shot is taken. Maybe AF is OK

if it's quiet. I know the remote release will be tricky, but if the

camera is cheap, I can probably rig something up myself on that score!

Why won't a game camera, such as this one

<http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=55163&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=7&hvarSubCode=10&hvarTarget=browse>

from Bass Pro Shops, fill your need?

Remote operation is controlled by a passive infrared system; flash can be disabled; cost is reasonable a complete system and mounting hardware.

Three sources to investigate: a search on trail cameras produced the following site which has a forum:

http://www.hagshouse.com/Hags%20House/Trail%20Camera%20Project.htm

Harbortronics has a useful listing of cameras they have (mostly Nikon) and haven't been able to adapt for remote control via serial/USB port:

http://www.harbortronics.com/compatibility.htm

Another source of expertise is in the KAP (kite aerial photography) community.

It doesn't have an IR remote, but the Pentax WR43 could be useful for some remote

wildlife shots.

It is 4mp, waterproof down to about 3 feet, so could be left on a tree-pod, and has a

reasonably good lens (f/2.8 wide) and good metering.

It also has an interval timed shot mode that allows photos to be automatically taken at

specific intervals. There is also a "fast forward" movie mode that can be used to take

time lapse shots. For instance, you can compress a 30 minute sunset into a few

seconds or so by adjusting the frame rate (video mode) from 2x to 100x.

As far a a remote release is concerned, I once rigged a Yashica-Mat 124 with a trip

wire across a game trail using monofiliment fishing line tied to a regular mouse trap.

When something touched the fishing line, it sprung the trap, which pushed a cable

release firing the camera with flashbulb (25B) which was focused and exposure set for

the trail where the trip wire was located. Primative, and only one shot per setup, but it

worked.

Without a threaded cable release socket, I'm not sure if the above would work for you,

but something could probably be rigged.

Bob, most digi cams with a powered zoom will have some noise. If you really need noiseless operation(zoom), you might as well look at a fix focal length with some digital zoom or just upsize with more megapixels later.

Otherwise:

One camera you might want to look at is an older Canon G3/G5: You should be able to get one at a good price. The focal length is 35-140. You can use a infra red remote or if you have it tethered on a long USB cord, use remote capture from a laptop. They use the BP 511 battery so the batterly life is excellent. They have a built in intervalmeter and you can shut down the auto power off,use manual focus and custom settings.

The other model perhaps is a Canon S60/S70. Battery is not quite as good but they do have the same remote options. You can also buy a waterproof housing that is actully waterproof, 130 meters.

Speaking of remote capture and time lapse, check out this website. I got to beta my G3 with it, works great.

http://www.granitebaysoftware.com/Default.aspx?ContentID=1&ContentVer=1

Bob, one question, does it need to be digital? A Leica M (or bessa for that matter) would do the job perfectly I think (ok, not cheap, but you could use them to other good means as well!), they are small, quiet, and render superb quality on good film (better than any digicam available)... only an idea though