545, 545i or 545pro

geert_de_keyser1

I use 545 and 545i backs, and have never used the newer Pro back. The Pro back has some new bells and whistles that supposedly "optimally" process the film according to ambient temperature, and also suggests changes in f/stops. Do I think it's worth the extra money? In a word...no...not if you know what you're doing in the first place. The 545i back is a bit lighter in weight than the older model 545 back, but both are excellent pieces of equipment. Don't forget to keep the rollers clean!

We had a workshop student a while back who had the 545 Pro. I fell in love with it - the timer starts automatically when you pull the film, adjusts the time to the ambient temperature, beeps at you when it's cooked just right, and gives great backrubs.

That said, I haven't bought one... and still use the 545 that I've almost worn out, and the 545i that I use even though I broke the lever mostly off.

Richard Ritter says beware buying a used Polaroid holder, because they can wear like my old one and be worse than useless - the packet won't release to reveal the film when you pull it while in the camera, and so your now REALLY expensive Polaroid film remains unexposed. Not good. That's why I got a new one. Then I dropped it.

Douglas is correct: the 545 is metal, the 545i is made of plastic but otherwise identical to the 545. The Pro version adds a builtin timer for development; handy if you forget your watch I suppose.

I use the 545i with no problems. I haven't broken it after about 3 years. I can't imagine what folks are doing to break these things except maybe dropping them on concrete...always a bad choice IMO...

I own the 545i and the newer 545 pro. If I had it to do all over again, I would not have spent the extra cash on the pro model. I only shoot 55P/N now and you really do not need a timer to process this film IMO. A quick twenty second count always does it for me. If interested, I have a page on my blog that talks about 55P/N and offers Polaroid links:

http://cameraartist.com/blog/?page_id=1

I can only match the prior comments. 545 is metal and heavier and older. 545i is plastic and lighter. 545 Pro has more tech. I currently own the Pro. It is very nice, but the bells and whistles are unecessary in my view. I probably should have just stuck with the 545i, which is very good and very smooth. Doing it again I'd just save the money and go with the 545i.

I feel the Polaroid plastic backs are not nearly the quality of the older metal edition, nor are

they the equals of the newer Fuji plastic back for their instant films. I have switched to the

latter for everything except type 55 P/N, for which I find the heft and solid-sounding "thunk"

of the metal 545 reassuring. The original back sells used for about $50 in like-new

condition on EBay, and I purchased mine still boxed for less than that. The tny bit of extra

weight is well worth the construction qualty, IMHO.

I just went through the same process a month ago. Fortunately a friend of mine had the older metal 545 and the new pro model. I say get the older metal model off of ebay/KEH. Like new holders sell for cheap, clean the rollers and you are good to go. Throw the extra cash on polariod film. I garuntee that from the 1st box of polariod film you might get a couple of good shots. Save the bad one and write down in the bottom what mistake you made and file it. Most common mistake I made was to load the holder the other way round and pull the dark slide (or paper jacket)... :-)