Wide Aperture Rollei 110mm / 180mm Lens

peter_peter3

Can any owners of either the 110mm f2 Zeiss Planar or the 180mm f2.8 Schneider Tele-

Xenar enlighten me as to how well they perform wide open or barely stopped down? I'm

considering one of them to use with a digital back so I can achieve a very shallow focus.

It's critical that the image be free of colour fringing or other aberations as they will be

quite visible with the digital back. I should also mention that they will be mounted to the

Rollei electronic shutter system and used on a Linhof which will allow tilts and shifts,

further testing the len's abilities.

my 110mm f2 has nice control of aberations.

its probably best to spend a couple hundred dollars renting both lens's for a week or so..

if i had to make a bet on which lens has the least amount of aberations, i would say the 180mm... it seems like this focal length is the easiest to control aberations... but its just a guess based on the 180mm 5.6 hasselblad.

I have both of these lenses; thee are huge in weight, size and cost.

The are for a negative of 6 by 6 centimeters. There would not be much in the way of tilt and shift. Consider a Schneider Apo-Symmar XL

110 mm f 5.6 and the Schneider Apo-Symmar L 180 mm f 5.6. You can probably get both for the cost of one of the Rollei lenses. I believe there are Rollei electronic shutters for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Do the Apo Symmar 90mm & 150mm Makro lenses throw a much larger image circle?

Edward, would you know which lenses in Schneider's current lineup offer the equivalent (or

better) optical performance as the 90mm and 150mm?