Which Carbon fiber tripod / ball head?

jonpaulgallery

I just got back from an amazing two weeks in Denali and need a new tripod /

tripod head setup. I am considering carbon fiber and have never used a

ballhead. I am shooting 4x5 and 6x17 (and eventually hope to shoot a long lens

in 35mm for wildlife). I need something sturdy, yet reasonable in weight, as I

will pack it with me (sturdy being more important). The Gitzo 1325 has been

suggested. I will take any suggestions you may have.

Also, one photographer suggested I use a "video ballhead", as they have a

great ability to remain level when rotated. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'd definitely second the 1325 Gitzo tripod... and, depending on the weight of your 4x5, I'd

also recommend a Manfrotto 405 geared head.

i tried a ball head with my 4x5 but really didn't like the fact that changing the setting on

one axis will often times result in a change in another axis. For example, let's say I wanted

to level the horizontal axis and I released the lock on the ball head... this would result in a

movement in the vertical axis. I quickly sold off the ball head and replaced it with the 410

and 405 heads.

When using one of these geared heads... one axis can be adjusted separate from the other

axis.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cheers

A friend of mine has the Gitzo 1325. It would certainly be my choice when I get around to updating my tripod.

As for heads, I dislike ball heads, since you cannot control the directions independently. I prefer the inexpensive Manfrotto 3025 head. It has three small screw knobs instead of long handles like other heads. You can loosen all three knobs and use it like a ball head, but also adjust orientation in one direction at a time by loosening only one.

Jon: I do still and video work professionally. The video panning head's primary virtue is that it moves smoothly due to hydraulic dampening. It has no particular leveling advantage over other good tripod heads. (If you want leveling for panoramic stitching, for example, I can recommend a separate head for any tripod.)

I have used about every ball head made. They are all a bit of a pain with large format. Very fussy. (Not all ball heads are really ball-heads, but are functional equivalents in how one uses them.)

May I suggest the Reis Double Tilt tripod head? It is light and sturdy. Neither a ball head nor a stick head.

See: http://www.riestripod.com/head.htm

The Gitzo G-1325 is an excellent choice - light, versatile and very stiff. I would recommend a low-profile Gitzo head (or another brand designed for LF use) AND a Gitzo G-1321 leveling head. The leveling head gives you a quick way to level the camera after a rough adjustment of the legs, on any terrain, and is extremely rigid when locked down. Most LF heads do not have a sideways tilt.

A ball head is not the best choice for a large-format camera, even if it is up to handle the weight. It takes three hands to make it work. I have used an Arca B1, which has zero backlash and the best drag characteristics of any ball head. I would not recommend it for a steady regimen of LF, though. Geared heads are interesting, but the camera attachment platform is inadequate in the affordable versions. Large geared heads are EXPENSIVE. The screw and locknut method on a Gitzo low-profile head will immobilize any camera. LF photography is not a good candidate for quick-anything.

I'll add another endorsement of the Gitzo 1325. I don't really like ballheads for LF, but I use the Arca-Swiss B1 when traveling. It will handle a heavy field 4x5 The compactness makes it much easier to pack. A 3-way panhead is easier to use.

(It's peculiar how tastes change, but a few years ago threads like this one would have included many posts saying that the B1 was the best choice. Perhaps it just statistical fluctuations in who posts here.)

While a lot of people don't like four leg section tripods, I find the Gitzo 1348 a great solution for me. Comparing it to the 1325, it weighs a 1/4 pound more, has the same load capacity, will set up seven inches higher, and collapses two inches smaller. I don't use the fourth leg a lot, but when setting up on uneven terrain, extending the fourth leg to get the tripod level is very useful.

Don't be too quick to rule out ball heads. Take a look at the Arca-Swiss B2. Unlike the more common B1, it has two separate knobs for ball movements. They lock independently so you can deal with one axis of movement at a time (e.g. toward you and away, left & right). There is a third knob for 360-degree turning at the base of the ball. Take a look at an A-S catalog for a more detailed look. Panning heads have their own difficulties.

The 1348/1548 versions also come in a "Giante" version: Gitzo G-1548GT Tele Studex Mk2 Performance, which weighs a bit over 8 pounds but goes quite low and high (7" <--> 91"), and will handle probably any camera you can carry very far, up to 30 pounds or so. Not cheap at $900 or so, but the ultimate view camera and heavy duty 35mm telephoto tripod in my opinion since it lets you work both high and low-- very useful for nature and architectural stuff. The 1348/1348GT are a bit smaller and lighter than the 1548 series, but perhaps a better compromise for 4x5.

One problem with tripods that aim to be as light as possible is that their maximum height may be too low for comfortably working under the dark cloth. If you find yourself bending down for long periods of time, that can be hard on the back. I use the aforementioned 5 Series Gitzo, but not carbon fiber, and it weighs a ton. I'd never want to take it into the wilderness. That said, the 1348, at 65" height, sounds like a good bet. I also agree with the comment on the low-profile Gitzo heads. The G1570M is a good model.

I wouldn't want to take a Gitzo 15 series tripod travling. The 1325 is very rigid. If the 1325 isn't tall enough, for 4x5 use, I'd look for another 13 series tripod. For travling with 4x5, I'd also look for a smaller 3-way head than the 1570M. The 1370M is a better size for 4x5 field cameras, but is discontinued. I haven't seen the model that replaces the 1370M, the 2270M.

4x5 cameras typically place the ground glass enough inches above the tripod or head to make a difference in figuring out how tall the tripod needs to be so that you don't have to bend down.

The 1325 is a great tripod until you use it in sand. Keep the sand out of the knobs and it's

the best thing since carbon fiber.

After using the 410 geared head, bogen fluid heads and arca swiss b-1 i can say this:

the 410 is great design but it's heavy, bulky, uses large quick release plates, and wears out

quickly with frequent use. It was a pleasure to use with 4x5 but wasn't sturdy enough for

my Pentax 67 setup. I don't think it would be solid enough for long lens shooting on

35mm either.

The b-1 is rock solid but you've got to re-level the camera after any panning. I don't

recommend the flip-lock quick release since it is hard to remove with gloves on and often

won't unlock.

The fluid head: i've got a bogen 503 i use with my video and bolex film camera. I haven't

used it with my 4x5 but i've been thinking about it since teh ball head takes a little longer

to set up. With a gitzo leveling base on the gitzo 1325, i think you'd have a pretty solid

setup that would be easy keep level. It's a little heavy and the sliding baseplate wouldn't

make a great quick release though, you'd need a arca swiss type qr permanently attached

to the head with qr plates for your cameras. You could also get the bowl mount for the

1325 and a matching fluid head with a ball mount.

Gitzo 1348 legs, Gitzo G-1321 leveling head, AS B1 (or B2) head. The 1325 is too short and is always maxed out. Unless you do architectural work a geared head is not needed. The tension control on the B1 is so good it is easy to slap the camera slightly on one axis at a time without disturbing the other axis.

"Geared heads are interesting, but the camera attachment platform is inadequate in the affordable versions"

I've been using the Bogen 410 geared head for about four years. I assume this head would fall into the "affordable" category at about $150. It's been a delight for me to use, I've never found it inadequate for any purpose. So I'm curious - in what ways have you found these affordable heads inadequate?