10x12 Lenses

jeff_chadwick

So... you're the guy who won the teak 10x12 camera from India? :-)

I smile because I just heard from the gent who won the 6x15. Small world, eh?

The images circle needed to cover your format is something in between 8x10 and 11x14. One thing to consider is if you need lenses in shutters or not. Barrel lenses are widely available to cover the format, are cheap, and may work for you. Particularly if you use long exposures (which ULF typically demands).

Here's a list of 11x14 coverage optics that'll most certainly do a good job for you. Then I'll list the lenses I have and like.

150mm Schneider Super Symmar XL

210mm Schneider Super Angulon

210mm Schneider SuperSymmar XL

240mm Computar f/9

240mm Germinar-W f/9

some 240mm Kowa Graphics

240mm Zeiss Dagor (not the Goerz version)

250mm Kodak Wide Field Ektar f/6.3

270mm Computar f/9

270mm Goerz Dagor

300mm Computar f/9

300mm Fujinon-A

300mm Goerz Dagor

305mm Schneider GClaron f/9

305mm Germinar-W f/9 (not the APO f/8 version)

355mm Schneider GClaron f/9

355mm Schneider Symmar

360mm Fuji A f/10

360mm Germinar-W f/9 (not the APO f/8 version)

450mm Fuji C f/12.5

450mm Nikkor M

The lenses that I use in 7x17, like, and might look for again include a 305 Schneider GClaron, 355 Schneider GClaron, and a 250mm Kodak Wide Field Ektar. I haven't had much chance to try the 150 Super Symmar XL. If it does cover, I'm still tempted to sell the lens and buy more cameras in different format (like 11x14).

I hope this helps. The list is compiled from many sources, some of whom contribute here. :-)

I have a Canham 10x12, and I find that most 8x10 lenses will have enough excess covering

power to handle the format just fine. For sharp and inexpensive, the 355 G-claron is hard to

beat. The Kodak 305mm portrait lens is a great soft focus lens for this format. For wide

lenses, the Zeiss 240/9 dagor covers easily, and the 150/9 Zeiss Dagor will cover if you

center it up. This is really a great format. A lot more 'presence' than 8x10, yet the camera

handles like an 8x10...

I learn something new every day. :-)

I didn't realize that folks were still making 10x12 format cameras. Rather a rare size, eh?

Looking through a back issue of View Camera I can across an article written by Kerry Thalmann about a photographer who made several cameras of "odd" sizes. I think the photographer's name was Butch Welch. Mighty impressive work.

I'm still thinking that I may flip the 150 SuperSymmar XL and try to worm my way into 11x14 or something similar... but this 10x12 stuff... hmmm...