What to buy for a new D200 in terms of lenses.

jens_veile

I am in the process of buying a new D200 to replace my D70. I have the Nikkor

18-70 DX lens bought for my D70 and a Nikkor 105 Micro (the old model). Now, I

am in doubt what to buy as an additional lens or even maybe two.

I am considering the Nikkor 18-200 VR if I can get my hands on it and the I

have also been considering the Nikkor 12-24 DX.

Can anyone give me some advice.

I will be buying the equipment in Hong Kong.

The 18-70mm is a perfectly good lens on the D200. Unless you are looking for faster glass I don't see a reason to give it up just to get the 18-200mm. The 12-24mm on the other hand is a wonderful addition if you enjoy the ultra-wide perspective. Depending on your shooting style it may even be more useful than just the 18-200mm VR and your existing 105mm macro.

Jens,

First of all excuse my very bad english

As you, i have a D200 and i have recently bought a Nikon 12-24, also in Hong Kong. Im really happy with this lens. Its very funny to play with this lens at 12mm.

But because the equipment you have i think you need a tele lens better. Obviously depending on the photography you practice.

Hope it helps. Best regards

The 12-24 put the fun back into photography for me after I went digital. I used to have a 20mm almost permanently welded to the front of my film cameras in the old days. :)

The 18-70 is a very adequate lens. It may not be fully professional grade, but it really does put out nice photographs.

I'd consider either the 12-24, or perhaps a 70-200 or 70-300 to compliment your current lens collection rather than the 18-200 myself.

The 18-70 is superb. I have run tests against my 17-35 and it comes out very favourably. Nikon are currently looking at my 17-55 as I had a dud.

Get the 12-24. An amazing lens and very lightweight, fits nicely on the D70 and the D200. Oh, and get the 50mm f1.8D.