aurelio

I have got a 20D with 17-40/4 L, plus a 70-200/4 L and a 50/1.4 EF are on my

way in some weeks ...

Waiting for full format digital bodies getting affordable, what about a film

body like a EOS 1n?

I have seen one in very good shape (used by an amateur) for about 400 � (that

is about the same as 450 $ in USA). Would it be a good purchase, a body which

could last "forever"?

I'd get a used EOS3 for sure, instead of the 1n.

It's a huge leap in AF, metering and flash system while keeping the same weather sealing as the 1n. As a bonus you'll get ECF which is the best thing since the world begun as we know it...

<p>As the previous poster suggested, it's a rock-solid camera, but you need to sort out what you need and want. It may be the best body for your needs and wants, or there may be another body which is a better match for you.</p>

<p>For example, I used to have an Elan 7E (EOS 30 in most of the world). It's lower in the product line, so it's not as well built as the 1N, and it's not sealed against dust and water. Its build quality is similar to that of the 20D, and that's all I need. Being a newer design than the 1N (which is a design from the early-to-mid 1990s), it has some features which the 1N doesn't. Being lower in the product line, it's missing some of the 1N's features (there's no booster available, for example, to improve its high-speed shooting), but nothing that's all that important to me.</p>

The 1n has some important features that make it more of a pro camera than the 3. It has 100% vf coverage compared to 97%. It also doesn't fog IR film. IMO it's built slightly better. I'll put it this way, if somebody broke into my house, I could use the 1n as a club to knock them unconscious, then use it to take a picture for evidence. I wouldn't get the 3 just because of E-TTL. E-TTL doesn't make up for a higher price and less features.