stephen_komp

Hello -

I'm thinking about purchasing a Mamiya Press Super 23 and I had a

question about the back. I noticed that it has swings and tilts. Will

this give me a decent about of distortion like a 4x5 camera? I realize

the movements will be more limited than a 4x5 but, I'm looking for

something that is compact and allows me to manipulate the plane of

focus like a 4x5.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

Not really enough for me and you have to use the lens that recesses. I think that is only the 100mm lens and the Press cameras are not that small anyway. If you want MF movements I would probably go for a Fuji 680 on the expensive side, also they did make a tilt shift adapter for the mamiya RB cameras, or on the super cheap side go for one of these and a roll film back. Baby speed or crown graphic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=7521680901&rd=1

• 3 weeks later...
Steve, as much as I like my Mamiyas, the swing and tilt facility is not one of its strong points, because as Troy has pointed out you need one of the retracting lenses, which are I believe of inferior optical quality. It can be done however, as I have by machining about 5mm off the back and so permitting the use of regular lenses. This operation is NOT as easy as it sounds. The result does work, but is somewhat clumbsy in operation as the back has to be held steady while tightening four clamping cams, and then gingerly swapping screen for film back so nothing slips.