Anyone ever try a 300 F4 (non S type) and a TC-301 or 500 F/4 P

josh_miller6

So I just bought a TC-301 for my Nikon 300 F4 AF (Non S version). I have the 1.4 for

years and always had good results almost as good and the 300 strait. I just bought the 2x

for a cheep step up unill I can afford $4000 on a biger lens. I was amazed at the lack of

quality from the 2x. I shot off a tripod at F8 (Wide open) between 600-1000 shutter.

Everything came out so soft that I couldn't really even bring it back with unsharp mask. I

was shooting at iso 400 from the D200. From what it looks like it is not due to camera

vibration, but rather just a general lack of sharpness. Is this normal or did I buy a bad 2x?

I know people have good (not amazing) results using the same 2x on a 500 F/4 P all the

time. Does it not work well on a 300 F4?

Generally speaking, it is hard to get great results from 2X TC's. That is why I rarely use mine (TC-20e). The one lens that I can get good results with it is the 300mm/f2.8 AF-S. You start with a f2.8 prime, instead of f4, so that you end up at f5.6.

When you end up with f8, it is a bit hard to focus accurately and manually. Camera shake is usually a problem. The TC also magnifies more of the flaws of the lens. In other words, there are several issues that can contribute to soft images.

Did you buy a bad 2x? If you can make A/B or A/B/C comparisons with results from other 2x, it might help you decide.

Josh,

Your results are consistent with my experience. I use the TC-14B, TC-14E, and the TC-301 (perhaps better to say I have the TC-301). The 1.4s are used on the 300f2.8Af-S, the same 300f4 you describe, 400f3.5 and 600f4. The results with the 1.4 are often/mostly indistinguisable from the primes w/o converter. On the other hand, I have never been entirely satisfied with an image using the TC-301 with any of the above lenses, regardless of shutter speed/monopod/heavy tripod combination.

Regards,

FWIW, I used to get surprisingly good results with the TC-301 and a 600mm f/5.6 This was when the combo was mounted so as to keep vibration to a minimum. That was always the main trick for my TC-301... it's physical length made vibration a problem for some setups. But when I had an optimally balanced setup, it was quite good.

The 600mm was the only lens I ever used it with. Both are now gone and I went totally AF, longest TC is now 1.4x

The TC-301 has never been a favorite of mine. It is very long and make for a very shaky

setup so tripod mounting is a must and a proper tripod support plate/brace (Kirk or RRS)

very recommended. I do prefer my TC-20E (modif required for use with AF300/4) but still

it is tripod mounting recommended. With a 2x converter you will have to stop down 1 or 2

stops in order to get decent sharpness.

The 500/4P is an excellent lens and works well with converters. There's no way to

handhold that one.

Anytime you have a long focal shake is a major factor. That's when you want to use mirror

locking.

When using converters you are always loosing sharpness. With a 1.4x the loss is minimal

as long as the lens is good. The AF300/4 is a very good lens, not as good as the 500/4P

but still very sharp. You should be able to get decent shots from it even with the TC-301

when stepped down unless your converter is a lemon.

Also, are you using a film camera or a dslr? It seems some lenses that work very well on

SLRs are so so with digital bodies. I read that the 400/3.5 has this problem. It could be

that the TC-301 suffers from the same issue.

You are using a 300mm lens with a 2x TC, making it a 600mm lens and then with the DSLR crop factor, you are talking about a 900mm equivalent. 1/600 sec is not that fast. I would test with 1/2000 sec to eliminate camera shake.

In any case, if you are used to high-quality lenses, any 2X will likely give you somewhat disappointing regults. That is why I rarely use mine, especially since I have a 1.7x TC now.

Hi Shun,

No, I haven't actually used the combo, but if I was going to bother trying a 2x with the lens... that would be my choice. It would have limited usefulness for my purposes (which is why I don't use a 2x), but mounted on a tripod in the correct light with the correct technique and judged by reasonable expectations, it should do okay (or as good as any other 2x solution). AF would be do-able, again in adequate light. Manual focus with 2x TC's is a major eye strain for me. :)

Cheers, -Greg-

I only use the TC-301 with one lens: the 400mm f3.5. There is NO image degradation (I'm always wide open w/ this combo)...its freaky. Of course at 800mm any vibration will kill the image, so I have it on a 1325/BH-1 and my technique has to be perfect. I love this rig for wildlife.