RAW + JPEG ... which quality setting?

robert_davis7

I shoot RAW only. My viewing software will pump out JPEGs of all the RAW files using the

camera's settings. That way, I get the best quality in the smallest amount of space, and

JPEGs in seconds (or about a minute for 1GB of RAW files) if I really need them.

Adam

<p>On my 20D, I use RAW+small/normal, for memory reasons. For me, the in-camera JPEG is basically a thumbnail, for use as a quick way of evaluating photos before going through the RAW conversion. Once I've converted the RAW files, the in-camera JPEGs are no longer useful to me, and in fact I delete them at this point. The size of the JPEG makes a significant difference to the capacity of a card. A 1 GB card in RAW+large/fine is equivalent to roughly two 36-exposure rolls of film; in RAW+small/normal, it's about three rolls. That's a big difference.</p>

<p>The size and quality of the JPEG you save in RAW+JPEG mode only affects the JPEG; the RAW file is always full-size and full-quality.</p>

Canon crippled the 350D with one serious handicap. Its RAW+JPEG allows only large/fine. I use the JPEGs as proofs to select the raw shots I want to process, and for that the smallest JPEG setting is adequate and efficient. The large/fine is overkill for that purpose and too wasteful of space on expensive memory cards. Maybe the Russian hackers can get to work on solving this problem?

RAW + JPG B/W (orange filter, +2 contrast) if I don't have CF limitations. This way I have lovely in-camera JPGs and RAW for print etc or if I think something looks better in colour.

If I shoot something important and I need a lot of shots then I might use RAW only.