28-105 3.5-4.5 IF-AF or 18-70 3.5-4.5 DX

Ruben Silva

You must have a DSLR if you're considering a DX lens. 28mm is equivalent to a "normal" lens (42mm) in this case, and is not wide enough to be useful as a walk-around lens. A lens starting at 17mm (25mm equivalen) would be better.

Otherwise, it is impossible for anyone to comment without knowing the camera and manufacturer of the lenses.

When I got my D70 (+18-70) I sold the 28-105 which was my standard lens in film times. The 28-105 is a great lens and I was always satisfied with it, but, as said above, for the use with a DSLR it's a bit long. Because I have no film Nikon any more keeping the 28-105 did not make sense for me. If you still use film you may be in another situation.

Ruben, I do not make scientific comparisions between lenses. IMO you can't go wrong with both. The 18-70 has some distortion and vignetting at the wide end. I can't remember if the the 28-105 looked the same with film, probably not. The 18-70 is great to use on a DSLR because of the fast focussing motor.

I have both because still shoot slides.

The optical quality of the 28-105 is better because only the sweet spot of glass is used on DSLR. The 28-105 also reaches further if you like to use the long end. The 28-105 also provides the semi-macro mode that allows you to get closer and fill the frame more. But it is not as wide.

The 18-70 is wider on DSLR, obviously. But it suffers from vignetting when wide open at both the long end and wide end. The edges are not as sharp as the 28-105 on DSLR (see my samples). It is a tad darker than the 28-105 (see my samples). The AF is quieter than that of 28-105 but the AF speed is about the same.

I decide which one to mount on D100 based on my mood. :-)

Two full size samples can be found at

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=116382

If you are looking for a lens for a Nikon DSLR since you are talking about a DX lens, 28mm is not all that wide as a general-purpose lens. I would definitely get something that starts from 18 (or 17) mm. That are good reasons that Nikon has introduced 4 different 18 to xxx DX lenses in the last 3 years.