M3 Finder

Hi All,

I have recently obtained a very early M3 ... '54 model. The

rangefinder patch is extremely faint and can only be used in good

light with plenty of contrast in the subject! I hear that they can

be re-silvered which I guess is probably the problem. I live in

Brisbane Australia and would not have a clue where to start trying to

find someone to do this job. Probably not in this country I suspect!

Can anyone give some info as to where I should send the camera and

approximately how much it may cost? The camera is exteremely

original .... so is well worth the effort!

Keith

Hi Keith , as pointed out Sherry Krauter would be the best choice. This will keep the camera original. However it is possible to fit a later M6

view / rangefinder. You are correct assuming this work can not be done in Australia ,Leica itself will not service M3 anymore.

Hi Keith

Yes you are correct there is nowhere for serious Leica repairs in Aus these days.

I just sent my M5 over the Sherry Krauter in New York. On the recommendation of another Aus PN member I used Australia Post's EMS service with insurance. That cost me about $100 Aust. all up.

C.

Keith, you can try Jorg Heumuller a Leica factory trained technician. He doesn't work as camera technician full time - starting point to contact him is 03 9670-1929.

<p>

He did a fantastic job recementing an M2 finder - came out nearly as bright as a Bessa R2 finder. M3 viewfinder is somewhat more complicated from I read.

<p>

If Jorg cannot recemment M3 finder, CRR Lutton is another option:

<br><a href=http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica/page10.html>CRR Luton site</a>

Craig,

I am pleased to read you followed my advice.

Sherry will do a terrific job on your M5.

Keith, I am in Melbourne. I send all my stuff to Sherry K. I sent my two M5's and my M3 to Sherry. She's also done all my SL's as well. She's the best. You won't regret it.

As for your M3 the rangefinder probably doesn't need to be resilvered. The rangefinder probably only needs a clean. Mine was the same until the rangefinder was cleaned. It was a different camera after the clean.

Regards,

Tony

Tony

WHile Sherry has a great reputation, don't forget Don Goldberg at DAG. He can do just about anything you want to an M3. He CLA'ed my M3, added M4 loading, and M6 motor drive. Over the years I've had seven Leicas serviced by him, both M and screw mount and they comback like new cameras.

I had a conversation with Sherry recently about the same issue. She advised that it is probably an unfixable problem (we didn't discuss resilvering, which I'm pretty sure she does not do). I asked her whether cleaning could solve the problem and she said it might help, but most likely only if the camera still had the original "L" seal showing it had never been opened for service. Her view was that if it had been opened for service, that would have included cleaning the rangefinder, so cleaning it again was unlikely to help.

I think only CRR Luton offers a resilvering service.

Hi Ronald,

Fancy seeing you on the Forum again......the camera has been opened (no L seal) so I can assume it would have been cleaned so I'm not optomistic about that option! I have sent a few emails off to various people so all I can do at this stage is wait and see.

I have contacted Luton to find out the price and delay for a resilvering .... does anyone know how good they are? I gather it's sure not cheap but this camera is a 54 early serial number and is probably worth the expense!

As a matter of interest over a previous posting .. I have received the take up spool for my M5 from the seller of the camera In Germany which is a relief. When I contacted Leica in Australia they quoted me $295.00 + GST for the spool with a four to six week wait??? Looking at it it's hard to see where the cost can be justified!

Keith

CCR is far and away the best CLA and RF Cleaner on the planet--there is a reason that they aren't taking any more orders until August!

I've sent my M2 off to DAG, though, and he did a mighty fine job on it (calibrate shutter speeds, clean the haze in the VF...)

Well I guess CRR it is ... all roads seem to point to them. Unfortunately they are not taking on any more work until August but I guess that gives me plenty of time to get the camera packed up and off to them ... thanks everyone for your opinions and help!

Keith