what konica rangefinder looks like the minolca/leica CL?

frdchang

hello,

i passed by a store that had a small compact black konica rangefinder that

looked similar in size compared to the leica CL/ Minolta CLE compact rangefinders.

i have a konica S2, and i am definitely sure that this small black konica

rangefinder i saw was not a variant of the S2 line.

a google search does not reveal the identity of this small konica rangefinder.

if someone can give me a clue, it would be great.

thanks,

Whay you saw was probably the Konica Hexar, an electronic autofocus p+s 35mm film camera that looks like a rangefinder camera.

It has an outstanding 35mm f/2 lens and a very quiet electronic shutter whose fastest speed is a mere 1/250 second - probably the most significant limitation of an otherwise excellent camera. Later versions of the Hexar were made with a silver finish and lacked the near-silent shutter although it was still far from noisy.

Used Hexars sell for about $500 in EXC condition and are a very good buy thanks to that superb lens - as long as you can live with the slow maximum shutter speed which restricts the range of apertures that you can use in daylight.

The Hexar was successful in the market and the Konica engineers were subsequently allowed to develop the Konica Hexar RF which has interchangeable M mount lenses and a very close external resemblance to the Leica M6 and M7 models. The Hexar's fixed 35mm f/2 lens was transformed into an interchangeable M mount lens and is a very good performer on M bodies.

Unfortunately, the Hexar and Hexar RF were both casualties of Konica's disastrous merger with Minolta. Neither model was subsequently made under the Konica Minolta brand.