Photographing the NY Catskills

ekoppel

Hello all,

Within the next few weeknds I am hoping to take a day hike through the

Catskills. I'm bringing my photography equipment with me so I can capture the

fall folliage. It's quite a drive to the Catskills (over 100 miles) and I want

to make it worthwhile.

Can anyone recommend any good autumn day hikes with lots of dramatic scenery?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Eric -

A couple of years ago, my office had a summer picnic at the Mohonk Mountain House. This hotel is actually located in a state park, so I belive that it is open to the public. It's near New Paltz.

There are several trails around a beautiful lake - my wife and I spent 2-3 delightful hours walking through the woods (in the rain, of course).

the above poster is talking about the mohonk preserve. it is land adjacent top the mountain house. nearby is the minnewaske state park. there are miles and mile of trails. you should do very well. this is my backyard (7 miles) so i know it well and i shoot it all year round. plenty of roadside shooting available too so bring your medium format gear! e mail me when you are about to come and i will tell youthe latest colors. they are just begining to change now.......just a few weeks till peeper season.

eddie

The Catskills offer some very rewarding scenery, especially if you are able/willing to climb the mountains since the most dramatic views are generally from above. My favorite hike in the Catskills (and in all of New York State for that matter) is up Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains from Woodland Valley (off of Rte. 28 near Phoenicia). From along the ridge you get wide views in many directions and litte sign of human activity (if you discount the jaw-dropping view of the Ashokan Reservoir over 3000ft below). Sugarloaf Mountain near Tannersville and the Blackhead Range up near Wyndam also offer some wide and spectacular views. Keep in mind these are serious hikes with 2000ft+ elevation gain and fairly relentless ascents. If you want something easier going, I would not miss North South Lake State Campground and environs near Haines Falls (NY's highest waterfall, Kaaterskill Falls is found in this area). Other good intro hikes would be Overlook Mountain by Woodstock with it's jeep road up to the top, and Ashokan High Point just west of the Ashokan Reservoir, which has a beautiful stream near the trail that's worth a look in overcast light. One thing I cannot emphasize enough is that you should have a detailed map of the area or finding the trailheads is a real hassle if you don't know the area and will waste a lot of time. The Delorme Atlas is a good start, but I really recommend the trail maps put out by the New York-New Jersey Trail conference and can be found in most decent hiking shops or can be found online. The best colors are usually during the time from Oct. 05 -15. By the end of this period, the leave are almost gone above 3000ft, but are usually peaking lower down up to 2500ft.