Rear-curtain flash sync with EOS-3 and Metz 40mz-2 flash?

r._j.

I am curious to know whether the EOS-3 rear curtain flash mode works with

flash units other than Canon Speedlites.

I am using a Metz 40mz-2 with the (Canon dedicated) SCA 3102 module. Rear

curtain flash sync seems to be working intermittently or only by turning the

flash on and off between each shot (?).

Even with the EOS-3 set to the proper Custom Function for rear-curtain

syncing, it doesn't work reliably. Are Speedlites the only option?

If I had to guess, I would say <b>yes</b>, Speedlites are the only option. A quote:<br><br>

<a href="http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266">As I said, no EOS camera supports second-curtain sync directly with studio strobes. <br>

<br>

Best Regards,<br>

<br>

Chuck Westfall<br>

Director/Media & Customer Relationship<br>

Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.</a>

Thanks, Sean, but the Metz 40mz-2 is a hotshoe flash, not a studio strobe.

My Metz is on the hotshoe, off-camera with a coiled lead (held two to three feet from the camera) or bounced through a brolly. It is dedicated to Canon using the appropriate Metz SCA adapter, but still the rear curtain sync doens't work, or only works intermittently.

It should work

http://www.adorama.com/MZ53102.html

I have exactly the same camera flash combination, but without the sync coil cable. I do not have the manuals with me - but have you checked what the SCA 3102 manual says about in which position should the rear curtain sync flip switch on the SCA 3102 be?

Could another culprit be the coiled sync cable. I cannot imagine why, but try an experiment without the cable.

I found the instruction manul to my SCA 3102 M. Two things:

1) Rear curtain sync is always activated on the sca adapter - i.e. leave the cf-15 on 0 and set the rear curtain sync with the flip switch on the sca adapter.

2) More interestingly, the table that lists supported functions with various Metz flashes indicates that rear curtain sync is supported on all flashes BUT 40 MZ-3i. 40 MZ-2 as an older, non-current model at the time of the 3012 M release is not listed in the table. If the rear curtain sync info on 40 MZ-3i is not a typo, it is after all possible that 40 MZ-2 does not support rear curtain sync. The best way to check this is to contact Metz technical support in Germany via e-mail. If you get a definite answer on this, could you please, share it.