alternate route that stays more north across the Upper Pennisula of

Michigan, then down the middle of Michigan to Detroit. The route from

ND through mid-Minnesota and Wisconsin to the Upper pennisula is

interstate free. It would seem that option would be somewhat round-

about but offer views of Lake Superior here and there. So, I'll need

to ponder this one vs. the suggestions you provided on my last

question. Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks again!

My understanding is that the Michigan UP is very pretty. I've only poked my toe into the far eastern portion of the UP. Tahquamenon Falls are very beautiful; it's one of the highest waterfalls east of the Mississippi. Not exactly a Niagara Falls, but a 50 ft drop and 200 ft across.

Also, Sault Ste Marie, Canada has some great area, including Lake Superior Provincial Park, but that would probably pull you off your route by too much.

If you come that way, there of course is THE bridge - Mackinac, plus the island.

I am very familiar with the UP. (My wife is a Yooper.) I would especially recommend the Copper Country area which includes the Keewenaw Peninsula with its waterfalls and wildlife. You can see Black Bear, Moose, Deer and a wide range of birdlife (Golden and Bald Eagles, Swans, Egrets, and G.B. Herons). Sunsets over Lake Superior make great images, and since there is very little light pollution, the stars are more brilliant than you may ever have seen.

It is a magic country.

Jeff, you may want to consider traveling through the U.P if you have the time. The route along the lake is always a beautiful attraction as well as the many waterfalls you can access. I'm partial to Pictured Rocks, and it ends up being my destination for many of my weekends and whenever I can sneak away during the week.

Jeffrey, I would like to know what time frame you are looking at. To me that is important to know before making a recommendation. In general I would inclined to take a route that offers a different terrain than that I normally see, I'm in SD so I would be more interested in taking the northern route through the forests. Course if you were planning on going in the peak of mosquito season I might go that way another time.

Jeff,

It's hard to go wrong in the U.P. It's at its most beautiful in fall, but there are a lot of attractions anytime. Lake Superior shore, many waterfalls, and much more. Minnesota's North Shore is also very beautiful and rugged.

There are a lot of images in my website galleries at www.dannyburk.com, if you'd like a sampling :)

Regards,

Danny

Hi Jeff, I'd have to third the UP suggestion along with Northern Lower Michigan. I'm a born and raised Michigander and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. All of the above suggestions are wonderful. I would like to add the addition of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Northern Wisconsin as well. I have several examples from all over Michigan in my photo.net portfolio; feel free to browse through. You won't regret a trip to our lovely UP!