Disappointed with wedding photos

shaye

"Everytime someone ask about which lens/flash/shutter speed/aperture etc to use in a wedding means they shouldn't be in a wedding with a camera."

I know it was stated that this comment was off topic, but I think its really way off. While I feel really badly for Minh and it sounds like she definitely didn't get what she expected or what she thought she was paying for, none of us have seen the pictures or know the entire story nor the experience level of the photographer or the terms of the contract or anything.

I think the best advice Minh has received is to go back to the photographer and try and have a discussion about what went wrong and how to resolve it or try and make it better.

People on here are always saying to NEVER show the client the pictures you editted out, however are telling Minh to demand ALL the pictures. I just feel we do not know enough of the story to give in depth advice on what she should do.

I agree with Lauren, on her point she wrote above...at the end of the day, we have heard only one side. I feel sorry for Minh, but I think the burden of getting a wedding shot right is primarily on the bride & groom because they have the responsability to choose the photographer, and they have the responsability to check him out, his portfolio, his references, and get what will be delivered in writing....is is possible that she left too many loose ends as assumptions? To be fair to her and the photog, we can only surmise.

Thanks everyone for your input � it is good to hear from photographer�s perspectives. Of all the different vendors that went into my wedding day, photography is the area I put more of my heart and soul into because I understand the value of it in years to come when memories fades and the one thing we have to hold on is a photograph. Maybe I didn�t ask the right question, but after all it�s a good thing that I don�t have experience in this since we are suppose to only do this once in a life time. However I really think I did everything I could in ensuring I get what I want and I was willing to pay good money for it and after the researches I felt confident with my selection. Since it was a destination wedding I didn�t have the luxury of asking friends and family for referrals or references. I checked out more then 2 dozens websites, and got referrals from the resort, and other vendors. I flew to the location to interview with four photographers � not wanting to leave it up to chances, I picked the more well known photographer in the area, paid good money for it and clearly communicated that I was looking for and it was agreed to � photojournalistic, candid and some traditional. I cut out lots of samples from magazines to show the photographers when interviewing with them on the style I was looking for. Five days before the wedding, I sent a list of 7 items must take (pictures with certain family members) to the photographer I selected and his response was not a problem. Knowing that this is very important to me, I asked the other vendors I worked with on my selection and all responses were overwhelmingly positive. He had taken photos of local football celebrities (if that means anything at all). During the interview I looked at his work and it was a collection of pictures from all the different weddings and it was great. I asked for proof of one complete wedding and when he pulled it out of the drawer there were ants all over the book so I didn�t get to see that.

In the end, I was very heart broken and upset when I saw my wedding photos. There were 308 photos, few good artsy ones but I didn�t pay 5 grand to have a few good pictures. None really made me go wow, none. I didn�t feel it was a good representation of the wedding day � many many scenes were not captured (if it was supposed to be photojournalistics). Not one good one of the bride and groom that I can frame.

Anyway, I made a special trip to meet with him again this past weekend and expressed my disappointment. He was sincerely surprised and taken by it. Understanding it is subjective so the only thing I can pin him to was the 7 must take photos that was agreed to and not done. His response was he does not work by lists. He said, I commissioned him to do my wedding day because obviously I liked his work and therefore he does not work by lists. At the end he showed me the additional 300 photos that some were and some were not included in the proof book and I found a few that we want to keep. After meeting with him, I get a sense that he didn�t �con� me purposely but the problem is arrogant so much he didn�t take his client�s needs into consideration � - the result of his work shows that �his main concern was to have artsy photos for the �art book� while my need is to have beautiful pictures and to have my wedding day documented. It was an amazing wedding day and I want timeless photos to treasure. The one advice I like to give photographers out there is to really guide your clients, even if they didn�t ask the right question, make sure they get all the information they need to know and be honest about your ability and style because it is such a major event that can not be recreated. Looking back I truly believe I did everything I am supposed to and beyond in my research. It was just an unfortunate situation.

Another question, I was trying to find places to let perspective customers in the area know (just so that they are informed to make their decision) but I couldn't find any location on the web. Pictage.com's client comments goes directly to the photographers and he/she decides whether to post or not so it is not helpful.