How does an Australian go about buying from B&H

adam rosser

I also posted this question on DPReview, so appologies to anyone who sees it twice. I searched for this

issue, but all the posts were at least a couple of years old.

I will be getting my tax refund within the next month and intend to buy a lens from the USA.

I want to get a Canon EF 300 f/4 L IS. I figure that allowing for exchange rates, postage and GST I will save

about AU$1000 over buying in Australia. USA price is about $1100. Does anyone know if it is possible to

get Australian retailers to sell for closer to US prices?

My main concern is how to go about buying from the US. I have heard that B&H are good to deal with.

Should I be selecting any particular type of postage/shipping? What is the deal with customs clearance? Is

there any type of shipping that streamlines the process? What should I expect to pay in import in addition

to GST? What should I expect for delivery times?

I know there must be Aussies out there who have done this. I would be grateful to hear how you went

about it and anything you would do differently next time.

thanks

Adam R

Adam,

The only 2 problems you'll have are a) getting through the B&H credit card verification for

a non US citizen. That can be tough & includes all sorts of steps not documented on their

web site. b) any customs duties you may have to pay.

If you can't get through a), I recommend Adorama, as their verification process is the same

as anyone else's.

Cheers

Mark

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Australian retailers to sell for closer to US prices?

`Digital Rev` based in Sydney has one listed at present for AUD1859.99 +p&h imp HK on paypal I haven`t done the sums but close

HTH

Hi Adam,

I've bought from B&H and Adorama many times in the past.

They may not give you an option on postage. They will probably insist on Fedex(or some other courier).

Firstly you will have to give them your credit card details. This can take a of time as they will required ID as well.

When the product arrives in Aus, you will be contacted by the courier company. Again, they will ask for your CC details. This is to pay for GST(10%). Camera gear does not attract any Duty.

So although you pay a for a few extras, you should better off than buying locally. The total delivery time will probably be 3-4 days

I've also bought from HKSupplies in Hong Kong. I ordered my 35/1.4 on Monday and had in my hands on Tuesday. Sent via EMS Post. No duty paid, no customs.

So sometimes you can get lucky. But I would budget on getting lucky.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

Mickj

I got one years ago from Sammy's in LA.

Ring them, and ask about details, and if possible get it sent by USPS mail, not courier. YOu have a better chance of it just being shoved through customs and won't be hit for a `processing fee' by the shippers. Also, if you are out, you get the card to pick it up fromyour local PO, not have it left.

You may care to look in one of the photo newsgroups and e-mail Henry Possner from B&H. Also ask in aus.photo.

Oh, and make sure you get an international warentee, not a US only one!

Select UPS (2~3 days option), since it's express, UPS will pay duties for you and bill you later...

If you're cheap like my buddy you could ignore their invoices (my buddy advised me that UPS won't do anything about it!).

Come to think of it...where did I put that UPS invoice...

Hi Adam.......I have bought 3 lenses from B&H over the last 18 months, and, it has been very fast & smooth, and much , much cheaper than buying here ( I'm in Sydney....prices here are ridiculous !).

All you have to do is send an email with an image or photocopier image of your credit/debit card and away you go. The last lens I got, a 200mm 2.8 MII. I clicked the order button on a tues evening, and on frid morning ( 3 days later !) , a UPS guy knocked on the door & gave me the lens.

So , in my experience , B&H has been terrific. Hope this helps.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Just one more query. Paul said above that I should get the international warranty. Other

comments in prevous threads havr said Canon AU will honour warrantie on the USA items,

not the grey market 'international' ones. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I've had a nightmarish first experience buying from B&H.

The lens wasn't packaged or labelled properly (no Fragile stickers)and was handled very badly by UPS. The original box for the lens was creased and dented at one corner.

And it didn't come with the original warranty documents even though it was advertised as a NikonUSA item and not an import.

All this would not have been an issue if B&H were as good as their reputation has been painted to be over the years.

Unfortunately, I received very rude and curt treatment from Mr Posner and his Customer Service dept over the phone and via email. They were not helpful nor reponsive to my calls to them. When they said they would contact me back; they did not - twice! They made me wait 3 weeks for an answer to a decision on the return of the lens.

I am still in the midst of settling this issue with them even though the lens was purchased on May 3rd this year. They have not replied to my last email to them which was to ask if I would get a full refund (and not be charged a restocking fee)

They were not friendly from the start and treated me as though I was trying to rip them off.

This is not what I call good customer service.

If you don't have to deal with their CS dept then OK, but if there is a problem...God help you.

Frankly, I'd stay away.

And NO - I am not a stooge for Adorama. As a matter of fact, if this is the kind of experience I'd get from (supposedly) one of the best, I shudder to think what I'd get from the others.

Adam, I think Australian retailers of camera gear are ripping us off. When I was pricing a Canon 20D and 100-400 L IS USM last year I found the price savings off ebay, B&H etc astounding. I ended up buying off a Melbourne ebay supplier saving nearly $1000 over retail prices. Since then I have bought three other L class lenses. One from Hong Kong and two from Australian based ebay suppliers, again saving heaps. I considered B&H but the hassles involved in payment I found just too much bother.

I got prompt and excellent service from each supplier. Of course there are greater risks dealing over ebay but I reckon the savings are just too great to pass up. Quite frankly I don't know how the big Australian camera retailers can continue to compete with cheap and efficient local and overseas suppliers.

d-d photographics and Quality Camera Sales Australia have the 300mm f4L IS for $1998 and $2000 respectively. Not as cheap as B& H which at $1100 US plus GST plus postage would end up about $$1700 AU. I haven't checked Hong Kong suppliers but they are usually cheaper again.

I've bought a few items from B&H (all 2nd hand).

<BR>A few things to be aware of -

<P>These days the import rules are such that anything worth less than au$1000 (including shipping) will get through unmolested by customs duties or GST.<BR>For values over $1000 expect to pay GST and customs 'inspection' fees on top of the shipping costs.

<P>Make absolutally sure that canon australia will accept the international warrantee! I've heard many varying opinions on this point but allmost no hard evidence.In fact there are conflicting stories going round with some claiming they had their overseas purchaced lenses repaired by canon australia under warranty while others say they were refused.Don't believe internet 'fact' on this point! -call canon yourself and ask .

<P>Be very carefull when buying off australian ebay.Most new lens sellers are based in hong kong -some even break ebay's rules by claiming to be in australia when they are in fact overseas.

<BR>Very few of these ebay purchased lenses have genuine canon warrantees.This is not particularly a bad thing but it does mean you'll have to ship your lens off overseas for warranty service.The whole point of this is that most of those ebay sellers charge extortionate postage fees-the minimum i've seen is au$50!

<P>I got caught out on this issue myself -in my case it was better to resell the lens on ebay as imperfect rather than waste money trying to claim warranty.

<P>Delivery times from the USA are pretty close to those stated on the B&H website.Maybe shipping by courier is the best choice because they are so quick?