paying until a couple days before the wedding...and with one person...not

paying the balance at all. She asked if she could pay me at the wedding, and

trying to be understanding, I said yes. After the wedding I asked for the

check, and she said she forgot her check book...(funny, I saw the caterer

being handed a check). It's been over 2 months now and still no check. Of

corse I'm holding on to all the pictures and negatives...but this is getting

ridiculous. Thanks.

Jen

I used to do weddings and because of these and several other business problems I stopped and now do only commercial accounts and portfolios. With my wedding accounts I was very liberal which bit me several times, for example, I took a deposit of 30% with another 30% due within a week of the wedding and the remaining amount due when the proofs were delivered. I had several clients make the first payment and then beg for time (usually the wedding day) for the second (they were counting on cash gifts to be used for myself, the band and catering hall) then they broke up during or right after the honeymoon leaving me holding the "bag" (also bounced checks to the other vendors). Just not worth the effort. I now will only do a wedding for a friend or family member.

I know many photographers have a policy such as yours. Some want half deposit and half before the wedding.

I have been doing this for 16 years and I only ask for 20% to book and the balance on the wedding day. Sure, there are times when the checkbook is in the hotel room or Inn and I could make them go up and get it - but I rarely do. I usually am relaxed because most of my clients are comfortable financially and I like them and trust them. If I had "red flags" I would and have insisted on the check that day. In one case I made the groom drive back to his hotel - and I followed him and waited outside. He took a real long time - I think he thought I'd leave. But finally came out with the check.

Many give me the check when I arrive or bring it over to me at some point during the evening. I do have in my contract a blank line for them to fill in telling me who is responsbile for giving me the check.. This does make them think about perhaps giving it to Dad or the Best Man so they don't have to think about it.

When I'm finished - and the couple or parent's are dancing away - I'm not going to bug them for a check (usually). I do tell them that I'll be sending the work for processing once I receive the check. That makes them very motivated to get it out the next day which is usually what happens.

Jennifer - unless the couple gets divorced a few days later - chances are - we'll always get our money because we have something very valuable that they want. Maybe I'm taking a chance - but it works for me. I have thought about it and I can see paying the florist for flowers ahead of time or for the food - but that is a product and it is delivered the day of. I feel good about asking for payment after my services are over. I think it gives them a level of comfort as well.

In this case though - I'd worry. Seeing this case I wonder if I should rethink my policy ;-) Sounds like all is not well in this marriage. I did hear of a case where the couple split and headed for divorce a week later so I guess it can happen.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems like you could take her to small claims court if it can't be resolved and it was enough money to bother with. She is in breach of contract though if it states she was to pay the balance by a certain date.

I have been tempted to let clients pay later or before they receive their products, but if you're running a buisness, you have to be firm.

Mary, I like your approch to putting a blank line for the person who will give me the check....sounds like it would make them think. I don't mind working with people if they can't pay me all together, as long as they're honest. I don't want to hear "the check is in the mail" and two weeks go by without anything.

Just a question, and my first post to the wedding forum. It's been years since I did weddings. With all of the P&S and Uncle Bob's now, aren't you worried about getting stiffed because the B&G got enough "decent" free pics? I know with higher end this probably isn't an issue, but with low to mid it has to be. If I were doing weddings today, I would definately have payment in full prior to service. I know some of you will say "pro photo's will be better" and "I'm not worried about Uncle Bob", etc., but I have to believe this really only applies to people who wouldn't be a problem paying anyway.

In my contract it states, if the balance is not paid by 30days prior to the booked date, they just forfeit the retainer (half) part.

I SOMETIMES get a check 3 weeks before, but no later as they stand to loose their photog for the day and their money to boot.

Hope you can sort it out.

PS. Interest is added to late balances at 18% (annually).

I now contractually require the full balance at least one week prior to the wedding date.

After enough instances where I had to chase someone down, or just about beg for payment, I

said "enough is enough". Unlike Mary's experiences, some of the most "absent minded"

payers were the most well off.

No tickie, no washy.

If you collect enough retainer ahead of time to pay for all expenses up to and including the wedding day, you can just wait them out. You might lose some profit however. If, for whatever reason, I haven't been paid in full by the wedding day (as per my contract) I do no post-processing beyond putting the files on DVD. Once the bill is paid up the clock starts.

I'm not really worried about the uncle bobs out there. I was the only one with the multiple flash setup and all the must haves. I know they really want the prints. They act excited when I talk to them, but they always say that the check is in the mail. I like the idea of charging a late fee....kinda like how other companies run.

Its funny how as we grew up our parents use to tell us, "never pay for everything up front". Yet here we are doing just that. Asking clients to pay it all up front. I remembered what my parents taught me and only get a deposit (20%), shoot the event, upon pickup they pay around 60% and we figure out a package over the next few weeks. If balance is due, it comes when final pickup is made. In over 28 years of shooting, I was burned ONCE.

Would you pay a painter of your house, the builder of your pool, the landscaper of your yard all up front?? And yet you expect a client to do it, when you have given them nothing but consultation at that point? I have never understood why Weddings seem to work this way.

That being said, I do have a client now, that it has been two months since end of their wedding. Husband lost his job, money is tight. How I get over this is other bookings take up the slack. If money is tight for you as a photographer, then maybe you should do as I did, I didn't quit my day job. It was always nice to have that quarenteed check each week.....benefits too.

Yuk, that sucks, Jennifer. I agree with the overall opinion that she will likely pay you ...

eventually! Unless they broke up or decided they don't care 1 iota about photography

after all, it's not likely that they will want to lose the only professional photographs of their

wedding.

We accept a flat-rate retainer of $1000 upon booking, and the balance is due when we

show up to shoot. When we arrive we carry a copy of the original contract, a copy of their

invoice, and a credit card authorization form. If a couple were to say that they'd forgotten

their checkbook, we can just smile and "gladly accept a credit card." Late payments are

subject to a 10% late fee. But so far we've never had any trouble being paid.

I STRONGLY suggest that people start accepting credit cards (easily done through PayPal, if

nothing else). This makes clients feel more comfortable with paying up front since they

could charge back if you didn't fulfill your end of the bargain. Of course, this is a risk for

the photographer as well, since an un-fairly cranky client could charge back for no reason.

But if you have your paperwork in order, this would only be a temporary inconvenience.

I totally agree with Anne on the credit cards or PayPal. Great move.

Much like Roy, in the first posting, we break the total package price down to three payments (one to reserve, half the balance 90 days before wedding, remaining balance due when they pick up their previews after the wedding). This does two things: gives the clients smaller payments that they have to make, rather than the entire, lump sum, which for those who don't budget well will have a hard time paying; and gets rid of the "I forgot" excuse, as we don't collect on the day of the wedding. We've had a small handful of people drag their feet on the second and third payment using this system, but we give them a little time and they always come through.

Our payment is x-amount at signing...x-amount 1 month before and the rest 1 week before...NO EXCEPTIONS!

Asking for the final payment the day of the wedding is asking for trouble....also bad form. No payment setup no CC Cards no pay you later. If the final payment is not the week before...the show does not go on. And i am clear with them up front....an take every step to remind them.

dave

It's in my contract that no wedding date reserved until Retainer clears.

It's in the contract that the Balance is Due 30 days prior to the Wedding Date because I don't want money issues to cloud the spirit of the Wedding Day at all ... not even a little: money is a Hot Button issue imo.

When/If I don't recieve the Balance prior to 30 days before the wedding I'll send a billing statment that is one or two lines and signed cheerfully saying the contractually agreed upon Balance Due date has passed. Then put my contact information. Keep it simple.

If I still don't have it at two weeks then I make a phone call and try to talk very little and let them explain how they plan on sovling the issue. My goal is to get this out of the way BEFORE the wedding but I'll shot the wedding and hold images if they dont' pay but that's never happened (yet).

Jennifer,

In your specific situation...how direct have you been with them to pick up a check? Offering a time to come over and get it...at this point asking if there is a problem paying the entire amount, or breaking it into payments? Granted, I've never had a payment due go two months, but I would have stayed on them weekly to be sure.

My current policy is a retainer, then full balance due within two weeks before. I guess I've been fortunate since I've only had a couple of people pay the balance due at the last minute.

I take a retainer to secure the wedding date and if that becomes overdue I would accept

another booking if one came available. I currently have one booking that where the

retainer is 3 months overdue, but am assured it's an oversight.

Once the retainer is paid I pursue payment 30 days before the wedding day and so far

have always been paid.

In the event that the balance wasn't paid and promises continued to flow, I would still

shoot the wedding, but the film would not be processed and would remain unprocessed

until I was paid in full for the shoot and the album.

I wouldn't have the heart to not turn up on the day for a couple who might be financially

extended. I wouldn't want my name to be dragged down as the photographer who never

arrived.

Neither, would I wish to face any level of law suit where the consequences for me would be

to compensate a B&G for not having wedding photos. I appreciate this is unlikely, but

lawyers have a way of getting their own way. :-)

Darren, Yeah, I've been very direct. They knew it was due 3 weeks before and asked if they could pay at the wedding because of $ troubles. Then, after not paying at the wedding, they asked if they could mail it to me. I just received a check from them today for half the amount. So this proves they are trying.

Anne, I definatly think credit cards are a great idea! I've looked into setting up an account and have been approved. I'm moving in a couple of months to Seattle, and then I plan on going forward with that plan. Thanks for all your input! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with these situations. It's very helpful to see how everyone handles payments..etc. :)