camera. I was thinking about going with the Canon Elan 7 but after reading

some reviews I'm not so sure. I have heard both good and bad things about it

(as I'm sure you do with every camera). My budget is $400 and under. I would

like a camera that has both automatic and manual options and works well for a

variety of pictures (landscape, portrait, etc). Any feedback would be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenny

I used a 7 for several years before going digital, and loved it. No problems that I can recall, and it's one of the most widely recommended film cameras on this .net

If possible, go to a camera shop and try for a used one, lots of good film bodies around, with what I would think would be low mileage (most folks , even when buying a "good" camera, don't shoot that many pix)

I have a 7n and it's quite good. I also have a 3 and that's quite excellent! Seriously, a 7n/7ne can't be beat on features versus price. That said, my old 10s had a better feel to it and seems to be built of more solid stuff. If you get a member of the 7 family, also get the BP300 battery grip to go with it. It gives you more to hold on to and replaces the expensive CR-123 batteries with common AAs.

I have a 7n (and a 20D). I got my 7n a few years ago shortly after they were released and I really love it. It has a whole lot of features, but not too heavy. A really good balance - i.e. good value for the money.

The 7 and 7n are virtually the same.

What have you heard bad about the camera?

(ps - also look at KEH.com for good deals and prices)

Check out Ebay for used models. There is a glut of used 35mm camera equipment in good shape, for a lot less than the new market. Prices for used equipment have come down dramatically with the drift upward of supply. I owned the Elan IIE, really liked it. The Elan 7 should serve you well, don't worry too much about rare negative reviews. Higher end models are also worth a look, but you lose the on-camera flash with pro bodies.

I have had an Elan 7 for about 3 years. It is a wonderful camera, in my opinion. I see no reason to ever buy any more expensive model of film camera. In fact, if I could spare the $$ I would buy another to put away in the box in case Canon stops making film cameras. It's pretty cheap so you'd have a few dollars left for lenses. Another advantage is that the controls are quite similar to the 20 or 30d in case you decide ever to go that route it will be an easier transition.

Thank you everyone for all your input...it is greatly appreciated! As for Andre's question about negatives I have heard...Severall people talked about the camera having trouble taking pictures in areas with low light, many people felt flat surfaces didn't come out well...there were a good number of people who felt disappointed in the camera (I can't think off hand what websites these comments were from). And, thank you for the KEH.com suggestion. For Dan's comment...I already have a Nikon digital that I love for general picture taking but I'm really interested in a good film camera. Again, thanks you everyone for the help! Take care!

Jenny

Hi,

I agree with all that's been said up to this point. The 7 is a great little camera. I gave one to a girlfriend several years ago and have borrowed it to use quite a few times alongside my pair of EOS3s, and now along with some digital EOS.

On thing I might add... personally I can live without the "E"/eye activated autofocus on any of the EOS. I just don't find it useful or helpful. So, it's now usually just turned off on all my cameras that have it. You might feel differently, this is just my opinon, but the non-"E" version of the 7 is usually a litte cheaper.

I honestly haven't run across any bad reviews about any of the 7. It's a little more plastic construction, especially the accessory battery grip, than the EOS3s. It's also a little more difficult to load the batteries. I would assume the EOS7 isn't as well sealed as the EOS3 (which in turn isn't as well sealed as the 1V, of course). But, I suppose that's to be expected in the price range. I do find the EOS7 feels more substantial and better built than the various Rebels, but haven't really shot with them.

Give one a try, heck you can always sell it on eBay if you don't like it!