Oly OM 135mm f2.8

igor_burshteyn

I came across one for $25 in a pawn shop and also couldn't resist. I also generally prefer the wide end of 55(f1.2)with my telephoto use formally limited to the Zuiko 100f2.8 (Have a 200f5 and haven't used it in two decades) but I like the 135. Gives me a little more room to play with than the 100 for outdoor portraits etc.

Ironically I generally tend to use fixed length lenses with my OM system, but with my NIKON DSLR system use only zooms. Go figure- Digital images are much easier to crop than negatives.

Jim

I had one once, it had a chip out of the front element and was the old silvernose version (I presume single coated). The coating was probably scratched as it gave very low-contrast photos, especially into the light, but also away from it.

Anyway, I sold it and got myself a newer version (blacknose). It works like a dream: the images I get from it are crisp and clear with good contrast. It is very sharp.

So, I recommend you try out the lens if you are able to. It certainly can be an excellent buy if it has been looked after.

I don't often use this focal length but I was out using it yesterday actually. I use the focal length which is required for the type of photo I want to get at the time.

Igor - The Zuiko 135mm f2.8 is probably one of the best 135mm lenses ever made, and you are fortunate to have picked one up for a low price. Here in the U.K. I have not seen one for under GBP120.00. 135mm is my most useful focal length - wide open for portraiture, and stopped down to around f11 for landscape work.

Graham, they are sometimes available for quite a bit less than that. I saw a lovely 100/2.8 go for 70 UKP on the 'bay recently (genuine too, I know the owner).

<br><br>

Igor, please persevere. One suggestion made to me a while ago was to go out for a walk / photo exploration session with just one lens. Not your usual or favourite lens, but something that will make you work harder. I suggest you do that with your 135mm.

<br><br>

BTW I really like the landscape photos on <a href="http://www.touchingthelight.co.uk/">Ken Scott's website</a>, he apparently uses only 24, 50 and 200mm. It ain't what you got...

<i>"One suggestion made to me a while ago was to go out for a walk / photo exploration session with just one lens."</i>

<p>

This is exactly what I do every now and again, and in fact the other day I only used the 135/2.8 for the entire day - it is refreshing to do so I think (and the 135 hasn't had much use lately before that).

I'd be interested to see Ken Scotts photos blown up to a decent size. He uses slow film, in low light, with a polariser, without a tripod. And a long lens. Even with wide apertures, you are looking at slow shutter speeds. Looking at the photos, maybe 1/15th sec or even slower.

Those small thumbnails show nothing.

A tripod is essential for landscape photography. But you can use your 135mm handheld with fast film (100ASA or faster), wide open. Useful for portraits.