1DS M2 outer AF speed?

alfonso_bresciani1

The 20d is a piece of junk...I'm fed up with it!

Since I'm thinking of upgrading to 1dm2 or whatever come up next,

how is the AF speed on the outer AF brackets compared

to the outer ones on the 20d...are they a lot faster?

Are they still a lot faster than 20d's if you combine different AF areas to get

a larger coverage area?

Does the full frame makes it easier to focus manually?

I'm sick and tired of using the center point to AF and the viewfinder it's too

small to really focus manually!

Thanks,

I use 16-35 2.8 70-200 2.8IS 600 f4 photo journalism, aerial, sports etc.

I'd like to be able to frame tight vertical and horizontal without using one shot and without

having to use the dang center point...How can you get a decent tight portrait of a moving

subject using the center point it's a mistery :). The outer brackets simply don't keep

up..specially on portrait mode.

I can only trust the center point; with outer AF points I get 30% of shots sharp.

How much faster is the 1D series?

Can you focus manually a lot better on a full frame body?

If the 20D is junk then there are a lot of trash collectors out there. The 20D and its 9 AF points do leave a lot to be desired in terms of tracking and focus speed. I find it fairly easy to manual focus with its viewfinder but maybe I have good vision. The viewfinder of the 1D MK II is brighter and probably easier to manual focus. You may want to spend a little extra for the 1D MKII "N" because AF focus points are easier to see in this version. If you have $3000-4000 for 45 AF points, 1.3X crop factor, and weather-sealing then go for it. For some the size of the 1D MKII is an issue but I found it to be very comparable to my 20D + battery grip.

I found it easier to determine the center focus point (which I use exclusively) on my 20D, than on my full-frame 5D. On the 5D the focus points are more crowded together at the middle of the frame, the circe around the center one is a bit hard to discern (at least at a glance) and I'll find myself doing a tentative focus, getting the center point to light up, just to figure out which is which. As often as not I've guessed wrong.

The full frame viewfinder is a big improvement, tho.

As an open letter to Canon: if you have a focus point selected to be used exclusively, it would be nice if it could somehow made distinctive, say green in color, or darker. Or the others made invisible. Don't know if something like this would be possible, but sre would be handy.