Contax 18mm f/4 any good?

edward_karaa1

Edward, I have never owned the 18 F4. However, I do own the 25 f2.8 and I am aware of the photodo rating but frankly I don't get it. The 25 is a superb lens. It is razor sharp, does not distort and renders the subject beautifully. I guess the photodo site is there to assist persons to make a choice. My father purchsed this lens around 30 years ago (it's the AE version made in West Germany). I don't think he knew about Photodo or even if photodo was around then. I gather he read the reviews of that time written by the "experts" of that time and they likely praised this lens highly and based on that my father purchased the lens (No small feat since he was a working man with a family and I think the price tag was around $700.00 pretty hefty for a working guy.) My advice is to purchase either/or lens if you have the money and enjoy your photography. Don't worry about photodo.com or any other .com.

The old photdo.com (now, sadly, gone) was a fantastic resource -- but you need to know how to use it. If it contains a rating for a specific lens, then that's a valid data point. If it doesn't, you can't interpolate values from a "nearby" lens. For example, the 28mm f/2.8 is rated at 4.3, the 25mm f/3.4 at 3.4 -- which would you take for the 18mm?

The best you can do is interpolate an average value from a "similar" set of lenses, but that too is a stretch. As I recall, Contax lenses on average had the 3rd highest rating for all lenses on the photodo.com site, but the within brand variations, while not as large as the between brand variations, were still too large to make that procedure valid.

So you simply don't have a photo.do data point for this lens. What to do? Evaluate your other data points, like the personal recommendation given to you above.

If you want a sound investment, look at the 21mm -- people are asking insane prices for new models on eBay. But if you just want a lens to use, monitor the used prices on Keh and eBay and decide to buy one a bit lower the highest range you observe. That way, if you don't like the lens, you can sell it to recoup most of your investment. I don't think anything is likely to change the supply/demand curves for manual focus Contax lenses in the near future.

After my old (but pretty decent) SOLIGOR 24/2.8 broke down I was in the market for a Zeiss replacement. I looked hard at available 25/2.8's despite of their reputation which was quite different depending on the source. But then a used, but cheap 18/4 Distagon came along and I took it for the price of a 25. In the end I ended up buying a Tokina RMC 24/2.8 to close the gap: Be aware that 18 and 24/25 are quite different angles of view and do not replace each other easily!

However: The 18 is a very nice, but pretty large lens. It does not take filters without the 70/86 step-up ring which costs about USD 100 if you are able to find one and does not have a hood - but then it does not seem to need one. It is a great lens with good resolution also in the corners, but due to its 100 degrees of angle it is difficult to use - the 25 is way easier. If you never used a lens that wide before, take the 25. If you know you can handle and us a 18, take the 18 and a cheap 24 to close the gap. And if you have quite a lot of money to spend then the 21 is superb in all areas including size, weight and price - I would take a 25 and a 18 instead.

Attached are two pictures, both taken with the 18 / 167mt combo on Sensia 100 scanned@2840 dpi with a Minolta Dual Scan III: Since the camera was only lying on a church bench, there might be some stability issues, but to me the results are quite acceptable even on a 100% crop (see next post).

Kai<div>00ICX4-32625084.jpg.a1c42dadc9f8aee420276e635daa2fc4.jpg</div>

It depends on the location. Here in Europe, esp. Germany the prices seem to stabilize, and for America KEH.com prices are a good guideline. I paid EUR 340 for my worn, but optically fine 18mm (=USD 400), but usually these lenses are in better shape and fetch about EUR 500/USD 600 in auctions. The 25's are at about EUR 250-300, which is USD 300-360, depending on model (AE/MM) and condition.

Good luck finding a nice example!

Hi Edward,

I have been using Contax/Zeiss for the last 7 years and also been buying and selling the same items worldwide for the last three, indeed I seem to have become the foremost Contax seller worldwide on the evilbay! I have had approx 200+ Zeiss lenses through my hands and would give the following personal comments;

1. All Zeiss lenses are superb and will be better than most users ability to use them. In other words, unless you are one of the very best shooters on the planet with excellent technique and are also hyper-critical, then NO Zeiss lens is likely to disappoint you.

2. Both the 18/4 & 25/2.8 are less frighteningly sharp into the extreme corners than some other Zeiss lenses, which is why some users are less enthused with these two. I have used both and very much like both.

3. The prices of most Zeiss wideangles have been inflated in the last two years by Canon EOS users buying them for use on DSLR's.

4. There are two basic types of Zeiss lens. The earlier AE ones and the later MM ones. They are optically identical, the MM ones simply have a small tab to use with later Contax bodies in Tv & programme modes. The AE ones are cheaper and better value. Unless you use a Contax body in Tv or programme mode, there is no point paying the extra for a later MM lens.

5.The German made lenses also generally cost more, as some users have a perception they are somehow better than the Japan made ones. My view is that this is an incorrect perception; in my view some of the later MM lenses seem to have lighter and less solid construction than the equivalent earlier AE version (irrespective of country made in). I must add, this only applies to some of the lenses. I have always bought the AE lenses, both German & Japan made.

6. I have found a potential issue with some of the 18/4 lenses in particular. The focus action of at least three of these has been VERY variable indeed. One had a focus ring so stiff it was almost impossible to turn and yet, another had one so free it spun round by itself! I have only found this with the 18/4, so you must ask any seller about this issue.

7. The Zeiss wides held in the highest esteem are the 21/2.8, 28/2.8 & 28/2. The 21/2.8 is now really silly money and I would not pay the mad prices being asked, however good it is. The 28/2 is really superb, but hard to find and expensive..also many have had pro use and the condition varies greatly. I have bought no less than four of these and all four had to be returned to the sellers because of faults. The biggest bargain is the 28/2.8, which is stunning and cheap. If you buy one though, get the AE version, this is one of the lenses which in my view has not so good build in the MM version.

8. I am in the UK, but the following prices apply to ebay worldwide: For an AE lens in exc/near mint condition expect to pay

18/4 ?350-450 GBP (600-800 USD) the cheapest I have seen was ?280 GBP.

25/2.8 ?150-200 GBP (270-370 USD)

MM lenses fetch about 10-25% more, the higher figure for a German made lens. Mint in box examples add about 10-15% to the cost.

I hope this all helps...and by the way, I ignore almost all review sites, they all have flawed tests in my opinion. The only site that seems to have a balanced and sensible approach is reidreviews.com

cheers Steve.M.