setting aperture on 5d

natasha_milne

I'm not an owner (though considering it), but just a thought.

Does the 5D have Personal Functions (like Custom Functions, but only settable via a

computer)? If so, there is among these (on 1 series bodies) an option to set the maximum

and minimum apertures the camera will go to regardless of lens (though no wider than the

lens maximum, and no smaller than lens minimum of course).

If this applies, could the setting be on f/5.6 maximum for some reason? Does this only

happen with this lens, and not on others of equal or greater speed. If only on this lens,

then it must be a lens problem I'd suggest.

The apeture relates to the lens, not the camera.

On all EOS cameras the apeture can be directly controlled either by using manual mode to

set both apeture and shuttter speed, or in AV to set apeture.

Have you also tried putting it in P and 'shifting' the program to see if the apeture will go

lower than 5.6 at the right shutter speed? Another option is to put it in Tv mode and

reduce the shutter speed to see if it picks a larger apeture.

Also, is this a canon EOS lense or third party? Might be a compatibility issue.

Another, possibly stupid question, are you turning the right dial? In Av the wheel by the

shutter is what you want to change apeture, not the control dial on the back.

If all that fails you might have a real problem...

Hope that helps.

Okay, I assume you checked the obvious stuff: ISO isn't maxed out, CE isn't on, lens contacts

are clean, etc. Perhaps a totally reset is in order: reset everything to default, remove all

batteries (including PRAM) and let sit for 30 minutes. I had to do this a few times with my EOS

3, Elan 7 and cellphone and it healed them. Heck, I even had to reset my iPod once. My 5D

hasn't suffered any software problems so it's been spared. Incidentally I can hammer away at

the max aperture of any my lenses without a problem.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I had a similar occurance. Just remove the battery for a second or two while the camera is

turned on and reinsert it. I have owned mine since early April and this condition happened

twice. In mine, the aperture froze and couldn't be changed. It was in the correct setting.

Another thing to check: If you are shooting manual, ensure the camera on position is on the

hockey stick icon, which allows changing aperture using the rear wheel.

I can't be of any help, but I just wanted to say that I've never had this problem - very weird...

You are turning the power switch to the second postion, right? (ie, off, on, 2nd). I believe you need to do this in order to adjust both aperture and speed while on manual.