What Leica is this?

_Alex_

It appears to be a Leica II, from 1938, with an Elmar 50mm f/3.5 lens. The shutter release appears to be fitted with an aftermarket soft release similar to one I have on my Leica IIIa. It would take a close examination by someone familiar with Barnack Leicas to determine if it is worth restoring. If the lens has been treated as carelessly as the body, it could get quite expensive.

It appears to be a Leica IIIc with flash-sync added. This is a common upgrade that was

done in the 1950's, by independent repair shops. The vulcanite cover (leatherette) for the

camera is missing, but that is easily replaceable by ordering from a vendor such as Aki-

Ashi. While this is not a particularly valuable camera, it is capable of very good

photographic results with good lenses, if you have it cleaned and adusted. There are a

wide variety of new and used lenses available that mount on this camera.

Gene McCluney

Thanks everyone!

The shutter curtain seems to be intact and it does fire when the shutter release is pressed. It is pretty gummed up. When you move knobs or adjust the lens, the lubricant feels 'thick'. There is a pretty huge dent on the "Ernst Leitz" inscription on the top plate. I'm not sure if that will affect focus.

I'm not planning on restoring it--it would be cost prohibitive for me.

Ok, why are people saying that this looks like a IIIc ?

It doesn't have a slow-speed dial and the middle viewfinder illuminator window is flush on a IIIc.

A IIIf ? No, no, no ... The fast shutter speed dial is too small.

Check this link:

look for Screw Mount Leica (Barnack)

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

A Leica II:

http://www.cameraquest.com/leica2.htm

The serial number dates it as a 1938 model D (Leica II). It has no slow-speed dial, no strap lugs and no rangefinder diopter adjustment (that I can see in the photo). The viewfinder front window is as on a Leica III. The 2 models overlapped, so it's possible there was some interchange of parts at the factory, or it could have been a replacement. Clearly the camera has been beaten hard, so it shouldn't be surprising if it's been bastardized too. I suppose it could be a "fake", or a Frankenstein. It's in such lousy condition it hardly matters in terms of sale potential.

The 'toilet seat' surround of the shutter release is insignificant -- I've encountered quite a few early Leicas so equipped. It is definitely a Leica II or D and the serial number is correct for that model. The salient issue is the line of the top of the RF/VF housing which is a continuous line all the way across -- not interrupted around the VF window as on a Fed or Zorkii. Who knows, if its guts are still functional it just might be worth restoring?!