Nikon 50mmm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens

maria_luisa_pablo

The D80 is compatible with all AF Nikkors except the IX series, and the F3AF's 80mm f2.8 and 200mm f3.5, none of which you are likely to ever run across.

So yes, the 50mm f1.4 AF-D will work just fine. However the 50mm f1.8 AF-D is generally a better choice unless you absolutely need the extra 2/3rds of a stop between f1.8 and f1.4 or the minor improvement in out of focus highlights (aka Bokeh).

"So yes, the 50mm f1.4 AF-D will work just fine. However the 50mm f1.8 AF-D is generally a better choice unless you absolutely need the extra 2/3rds of a stop between f1.8 and f1.4 or the minor improvement in out of focus highlights"

Adam, Not sure how you get the as you state inferior f1.8, a better choice than the f1.4??

Maria, The f1.4 is superior to the f1.8, and is an excellent match to your D80. You will be very happy if you purchase the lens.

Anthony,

photodo actually rates the 1.8D higher than the 1.4D... but I doubt they looked seriously at

the bokeh of those lenses. From what I understand (I haven't had experience with both of the

current nikkors) the 1.4s generally have MUCH better bokeh (out of focus stuff...)

but for the amateur photographer, I think the 1.8 might be better, especially if you're on a

budget. You can take the extra money you save and buy a used 35mm f2 or SB600 or 55mm

micro...

Sometimes you really want that 2/3rds of a stop! -- Happy owner of a 50 f/1.4.

Plus, I find that the 1.4 is sharper at wider apertures (from 2-4) than the 1.8. But, conversely the 1.8 is sharper stopped further down and will stop down to f/22 and not only f/16.

Know your audience, guys. If the poster is asking what will work, they are not at the pro level. If so, the extra price of the f1.4 is probably money NOT well spent. In my opinion, it would be better to get the f1.8 and some other nice stuff. More memory cards ? A tripod ? Another usefull lens ?

i agree. the 50 1.8 is a great starter prime -- that's why everyone has one -- i'd take that extra $$ and get a flash, battery grip, or a 70-300 g lens. i'm sure the 50 1.4 is great for folks who use it a lot, but the 1.8 is still pretty fast... there's not a lot of lens to focus so af speed is quick. you're probably not gonna miss the extra speed too much unless you shoot A LOT in low light -- in which case the sigma 30 /1.4 might be a better choice as its closer to a "normal" focal length of 50mm on a dslr.

I have not seen any tests, but there is a lot of anecdotal verbiage among users and in photo magazines that the f1.8 50 mm is close to the sharpest lens made by Nikon. Don't know exactly what sharpest means in this context (Resolution, contrast?) but in this day and age, the price (~$100) makes it almost a freebie.

I've never been impressed by the bokeh of either the 1.8 or 1.4 versions of the Nikkor 50mm's, although certainly not a show stopper in their use. My understanding and experience is that the 1.4 offers nothing more than the 2/3 stop in speed, optically speaking. This older thread generally summarizes my experience with these lenses. Scroll down to Roland Vink's comments:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008wIO

As far as the OP is concerned, either lens will likely suffice, the 1.8 being the better value (quality:expense).

@Anthony Bez:

The 50mm f1.8 is much cheaper, smaller, sharper in the f1.8-2.8 range. The 50mm f1.4 is faster and has slightly better bokeh (neither is particularly good for Bokeh).

I own both designs (Series E f1.8 late run, AI 50/1.4, both optically identical to the current models). I recommend the f1.8 unless you need the speed as it's a much better bang for the buck. And if you need the speed or better bokeh, spend the money for the 50mm f1.2 AI-S, which is half a stop faster than the 1.4 and has better bokeh than the 1.8 or 1.4.

Giuseppe hits on another key difference in the 1.4. It is a much lower contrast lens than most. I often find that it gives a sort of dated quality to an image. I have even thought on occasion it looked maybe more than a little like images from a certain brand of famous vintage rangefinders.

I will, though, admit that for the original poster the 1.8 is probably the better buy. I only bought the 1.4 as a beginner as I knew I needed a lens to photograph with in dark museums.