Canon M30 Photo Storage Device?

conrad_stoll1

Yes, that M30 does look enticing. I like the magnesium body shell. Canon is really going for

the yuppie puppy-doctor-lawyer market. In other words, it looks expensive. Probably in near

Rebel XT terriority cost-wise. Last trip I made I filled nearly a dozen 1 and 2GB cards, so what

the hay...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

It's a nice looking device, but nothing that's going to lead me to dump the Epson P2000 that I've been using daily for the past 1+ yrs.

The Epson has a larger drive and has proven to be very versatile & reliable. It's pretty short money now with the rebate as well...~$350.

When on one of my extended travels, I use two HyperDrive 60gb portable drives to inventory my images. I use two tanks because I want to mirror the same images on both...just in case I have a drive failure. The units I use have the fastest transfer rate currently on the market...no preview however....for me that would be just a gimmick...I want my tank to suck up the images fast and be reliable...I can always preview the images at home.

As for this new Canon tank....the jury is out...how much $$, capacity, and how fast will it transfer?

Coming from an IT background, I would only by image tanks in pairs. Like someone already pointed out, harddrives are way too prone to crashing, and it troubles me to imagine losing a whole trip-s worth of shots.

Currently my only image backup solution is my ipod, since I can upload all the pictures to

that (80gb). Now that could certainly work, but I do want a secondary option, because like

you said, hard drives can and do crash. This canon M30 could be just what I need, but if the

price is too much...then maybe not.

Hopefully we'll find out about that soon.