Difference between 420EX and 430EX

donald_a

Does anyone know the difference between the 420EX flash and the newer 430EX.

I'm thinking of buying the 420EX to save some money, but is there any

capabilities that I'd be losing by going with the 420? I have a Elan 7n now

and will be buying an XTi early next year.

Improvements in the 430EX circuitry make recycle time 40% faster, and since it is compatible with Canon's wireless E-TTL, it can be used as an affordable "slave unit."

The 430EX can now be set into manual flash mode (full power~1/64). Flash compensation can be set on the flash unit, and manual control of the flash zoom head is now possible. Significantly greater user control via new LCD panel on rear of flash. Slightly higher max. guide number at 105mm setting (GN 141-feet, at ISO 100).

Long story short, the 430EX is a revised and improved version of the 420EX. It doesn't mean the 420EX is not a good piece of equipment. The 430EX just does it better and gives you more flexibility. That's why you pay more.

Actually. . .I think you are paying more "just because". :)

But the 430EX defiantley offers more than the 420EX.

The 430EX has a LCD simply because it has more features -> primarily the ability to set compensation on the flash and the manual flash control.

Neither of which do you really need.

The 420EX, when used on any modern canon camera, is more than capable for casual shooting. The only time you need manual controls would be in studio work. (particularly when using slave flash features).

BTW: the 420EX can serve as an ETTL slave. You just can't set compensation on the flash, and can't fire the flash for manual exposure.

After looking at the Bob Atkins website the only thing that's making me hesitate on the 420 is that the 430 has automatic zooming correction for different frame sizes and can transfer of white balance info, both of which I may need when I go to the XTi.

<p><i>"But also.. Don't forget the Sigma which are as good :-)"</i></p>

<p>Although it may be seen as a very minor detail when it comes to Sigma, the thing that really annoys me is they can't bounce up at 45 degrees, which I personally find is a very important angle when using a diffuser such as the Omnibounce. Granted they can bounce up, at 60, 70 or 90 but not at 45 which is available on most other brands (Nikon, Canon and others). I don't know why they didn't include it (not enough difference with 60 degrees?). I'm assuming however it will still fire if you hold it in place by hand at roughly a 45 degree angle.<p>

I'm glad you asked that question because I was about to as i'm looking for a slave to go with my 580EX but i have to admit i do tend to use my 580 on manual a lot of the time.

so wait the 420ex can't be used as a wireless slave with the st-e2?

gahhh!

The 420EX can be used on-camera as an ETTL-II flash. The 420EX can be used off-camera in an ETTL-II wireless setup, triggered by a 550, 580, ST-E2. However since it has no manual zoom control it will always fire at the full-wide 24mm position. The 420EX can be triggered in a manual non-TTL Canon wireless setup, however it will fire at full power and at 24mm zoom position. The 420EX can be triggered by a pocket wizard or other non-TTL trigger through a PC-to-hotshoe adaptor, but it will always fire at full power and full wide zoom since it lacks manual controls.

I think that covers it...

I am a mathematician so I can tell you categorically the answer is -10EX.

Seriously though, Andy Radin wrote

"The 420EX can be triggered in a manual non-TTL Canon wireless setup, however it will fire at full power and at 24mm zoom position."

This is not correct. The power of the 420EX in a Canon wireless manual flash set up can be controlled provided the controller is a 550EX or 580EX. As Andy said you have no control over the zoom setting. The problem is that all flashes have to be manual to do this, you cannot mix E-TTL with a manual background flash.

The nicer ergonomics of the 430EX and the faster recycle are very useful.

"After looking at the Bob Atkins website the only thing that's making me hesitate on the 420 is that the 430 has automatic zooming correction for different frame sizes and can transfer of white balance info, both of which I may need when I go to the XTi."

The zoom thing is VASTLY overrated. In most cases, I seek to SPREAD light, not concentrate it. I normally have a diffuser on my flash unit. And all canon flashes go to their "wide" setting when you bounce (you should always bounce).

The only time "zooming" is important is if you are pushing the flash to the limit of power.

As for the white balance feature. . . .this feature is even further over-rated. In fact. . .no one is quite sure what it does. What I know is;

1) It only works in AWB and Flash WB modes.

2) It only comes into play when the flash capacitor is not fully charged, or the batteries are weak (ie, when you are firing the flash in high speed pulses).

3) The balance adjustment is a "curve" based upon the voltages, not in any way reflective of the actual performance of the flash unit.

4) #3 may work fine for flash WB. I have no idea how this affects "auto white balance" -> except that the adjustment is made after the camera makes up its own mind about balance. Since I don't understand how AWB actually works. . I can't tell if this function breaks an otherwise functional AWB system.

Bottom line: The 430EX is a fine flash. The 420EX works very well. I have shot with both (as well as better flash units). Today -> the 420EX is in my bag.

Hopefully Michael will eventually experiment for us. According to the manual (all I have to go on since I discovered these pages on recently and no longer have access to extra speedlites):

0) Set slaves to Slave and Master to master. Ensure they are all set to the same channel.

1) Set master flash to M mode.

2) If we don't care about individualized flash output then we can just set one power on the Master. Push SEL until a blinking fraction appears. Use this to set the power.

3) Press test lamp.

Does this work or not ?

I am hoping that this set up will allow me to use wireless flash on my Bronica SQ-Ai so I hope it works.

Mea maxima culpa,

My apologies, particularly to Andy Radin.

Julian's post is pointing out that I am wrong regarding the 420EX. Apparently it cannot be used in a wireless manual flash set up (this is mentioned in the 420EX manual on page 43 but not in the 550EX or 580EX manuals).

As always there is no substitute for hands on knowledge. I didn't know about the wireless manual networks when I had access to the 420EXs and so I couldn't check my response.

Thanks to Julian for gently pointing out my error.