Nikon D80 with kit lens or VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G

linker

Hello:

I'm planning to buy Nikon D80 as my first DSLR. I'm trying to figure out if

it's worse buying the VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G and stick with this lens for next

few years. This VR lens can pretty much cover 99.9% of all photos I'll be taking.

Will this be a good investment? Or is it typical for a new photographer like me

to purchase a second lens soon after learning how to use the camera?

Thanks...

I guess I should rephrase my original statement/question.

The kit lenses are $100 and $300. The VR 18-200mm is $800.

Do people typically out grow the 18-200mm range within first year after getting into photography?

If yes, I would probably purchase the cheap kit lens to practice, and then purchase special lenses to grow my skill.

If no, meaning most people never go beyond the 18-200mm range. I would probably by the more expensive lens and use it forever until I purchase my next DSLR.

Sorry for the confusion. My original question does suggest that I know what I will be taking. The fact is that I don't know what kind of photos I will be taking; therefore, the more expensive 18-200mm does look attractive. But it's $500 or more than the kit lenses.

For those of you guys who have been photograph for a while. If you are getting into photography today (knowing what you went through), would you purchase the VR 18-200mm instead of the kit lens for your first DSLR?

Thanks...

18-200 will cover 90 percent of your walking photos. Its a big rang. 35 mm equivalent

28mm-300mm. Its a bit slow, but its a really popular lens. I had one pro tell me to avoid

it, its a soccor mom's lens. But then other so called pros love it. All the kit lenses you

willsee for the Nikons have basically similar picture qualities. And some of these qualities

are really good. You will see excellant sharpness at f/8 and even wide open the centers

will be sharp. The out of focus areas when used wide open can be not so lovely. Color's

are vibrant, maybe overly so. They all focus fast in auto and the 18-200 has vr, a real deal

and that's why its probably worth it. I use the 18-70. If it would have been available when

I got my camera I woulld have opted for the 18-200, but some ssay the 18-70 shoots a

little nicer photo, others not and there is sample variation.

As you go on, you might want to think about getting some primes and of course if you

want to spend 1500 instead of 800 you can the amazing 70-200, one of the great lenses

on the planet, but that's a whole different animal.

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

What about using this lens for racing events?

Like open wheel street circuit, say Champ Car? Will it be too slow?

I believe most of the shots will be on the short end of the focal length with wider shutter openning. Is F3.5 good enough?

i would avoid the 18-55mm kit lens. everyone seems to say it's junk. i haven't heard much about the other kit lens (the 18-135) but that one doesn't sound great either.

like everyone says, the 18-200mm should cover most of your needs and would probably be a good way to go. with 35mm equivalents of 27-300mm you should be all set. the only exceptions would be if you're really into landscapes and need something REALLY wide, or maybe if you're wildlife-crazy and want something super long. but the 18-200 should do both of these subjects pretty well, which is kinda cool.

so unless you're really committed to the extreme ends of the zoom range, you should do pretty well with the 18-200.

If you have the money get the 18-200VR if you can find one. You will not outgrow this lens - it is just too convenient with almost no drawbacks. Even if you get other lenses later on for special purposes you'll keep using this one a good deal. I have six lenses in all and I use this lens 80% of the time. So in that sense it is a very good investment.

It's also a good investment in the sense it seems a high demand item. You probably can sell it for a good price later!

Leslie, I do not use Nikon, but <a href=http://plfoto.com/47672/autor.html>a friend of mine<a/> does, using this particular VR lens on his D70. The effect are IMHO outstanding (mind, he is a great photographer, but I also notice how good this lens can be!). Check for yourself!